This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hardwood floor and compressor failed

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
wfmdfm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1110
1947 Circle Cub #1316
1948 Cub #43915
1966 Power King
189 two way Plow
54A Blade
144 Cultivator
26 ft Welcraft
1967 Case 530ck Backhoe

Hardwood floor and compressor failed

Postby wfmdfm » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Well I have been replacing the carpet in our living room and hall with hard wood. All was going well until today. I could hear my compressor running but not shutting down. When I entered my work shop there was a strong smell of oil burning. The compressor was hot as can be. After cooling I checked the oil. It was up to level but black as can be. It is a 6hp Campbell Hausfeld with a 60 gallon tank. Are these pumps rebuild-able? I will mess with it tomorrow but have not been able to find many pump parts on Google.
Wally

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Hardwood floor and compressor failed

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

go to chpower.com you can get manuals, parts lists, and order parts there.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Wally:

This is the type of hammer I use when installing hardwood.

they are available for rent at Home Depot etc... Pretty slick and once you get the hang of em they go as fast almost as an air nailer with less fouling.

Bostitch Manual Hardwood Flooring Nailer
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 am

Have used these in a previous life Rudi They are excellent and stand up to lots of use
Donegal Cub :D

wfmdfm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Circle Cub #1110
1947 Circle Cub #1316
1948 Cub #43915
1966 Power King
189 two way Plow
54A Blade
144 Cultivator
26 ft Welcraft
1967 Case 530ck Backhoe

Postby wfmdfm » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks for the feed back guys. CHPOWER is what I was looking for. I need to determine if I replace the pump or tear down the old and rebuild. Rudi I have used that type of nailer on a couple of other floors in the house. I have since purchased the air nailer and do enjoy it. Regardless I need to get my compresor up and running for the shop. Harbor Freight has one that may be a quick easy swap and I can rebuild the other when the house is not turned upside down like it is now. Furniture is stacked in other rooms. The kitchen there is a stack of white oak flooring that my wife is really enjoying working around. http://www.harborfreight.com/145-psi-5- ... 67698.html so this is looking really good now.
Wally

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 am

check for a blown head gasket if you have 2 or 3 pump cylinders, I have had to replace the head gaskets on mine, if one blows it will over work the others
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am

In addition to what Boss Hog said, a failed valve plate will cause a lot of problems.

forgot to mention, I have dealt with them on pressure washers a couple times, and their telephone help is great, as well as their parts service. They prefer you to order through a servicing dealer, but if you do not have one close they will ship direct and have it their in a couple days.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am

wfmdfm wrote:I could hear my compressor running but not shutting down.

This is fairly obvious but as yet unstated. The root cause of your compressor failure was probably the high pressure cut-off switch. It stuck closed and the compressor sat there running continuously against full pressure. Had the relief valve popped open? Whatever way you fix the compressor, replace the pressure valve.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Wally:

I truly do understand. I like my compressors as well. I have a 3hp Pony that I have had since 1988, it kind of blew up. Probably too expensive to repair so I bought me a new one on sale at Princess Auto... like HF I guess. It has served me well for the last two years as well. Right now the upstairs is a mess - the bathroom reno went from a $700.00 job to well over 7 grand. Need to finish spraying the cabinets and top coat the walls. After that in goes the lino and finally the new loo.

In between that, we ended up with a flood in the basement in my wood room. Too much melt water/rain which overloaded my weeping bed. So.. bust up the floor in two places - one is around the sump pit and redo all of that. Finally got it done. Now to get on to finishing the rest. Then this spring hopefully put hardwood down on the main floor - about 1,000 sqft to do. The rest probably will be high end lino.

Enjoy the pneumatic nailer. I just may get one for my floors unless I contract that job out.

I would also echo Jim's comment. Insightful and probably bang on. The PRV is what caused my Pony to fail.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I lost my compressor too, probably in the week or two after January 29. I forgot to close the valve on the tank to prevent the leak down pump up cycle. Have always watched the oil level and it was about midway between the marks (less than 1/4" apart). It's an old Ingersol-Rand cast iron two cylinder pump mounted on an LPG cylinder (I think ). It was used in the old post office downtown when they used three wheel Cushman scooters. Trouble shooting it I found the connecting rod closest to the pulley had seized to the crank. Local parts house said no crocus cloth and can't get any. Also don't know if I can get new rod or not. Friend has new Chinese pump, but don' if I can get to work. Will need to replace one pulley (new compressor uses serpentine type belt. I can get compressor & belt for $75.00 . Connecting rod has the number 1208 cast into it.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Projects Forum”