This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

shop

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: shop

Postby Thackery » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:16 am

Good information on concrete/cement, costs, etc. I want to get the floor of my 100+ yr. barn poured. I would like to do it myself to save money but then again I'm nervous about a truck pulling up and dumping me more of a job than I can handle, and/or there are skills about working the concrete that I don't have.
Maybe someone could give some basic "this is how you work concrete" for a job like a shop floor, etc.

I havn't watched anyone work concrete since I was a kid. I did get to see a big form that was going to be a fixed equipment pad, probably 16" thick, blow out while it was being poured, what a mess. The job quickly passed the point of no return, the workers had to take loader buckets of concrete out back and dump it. But that's a different kind of job than floors, etc.

Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Doug,

Here's my personal opinion...

Installing concrete, in any form, is back-breaking work. Once you start, you're in it until it's completely done. Unless you have a bunch of experienced friends, who are willing to help you, I feel that a project of that size is best left to the professionals.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Thackery wrote:Good information on concrete/cement, costs, etc. I want to get the floor of my 100+ yr. barn poured. I would like to do it myself to save money but then again I'm nervous about a truck pulling up and dumping me more of a job than I can handle, and/or there are skills about working the concrete that I don't have.
Maybe someone could give some basic "this is how you work concrete" for a job like a shop floor, etc.

I havn't watched anyone work concrete since I was a kid. I did get to see a big form that was going to be a fixed equipment pad, probably 16" thick, blow out while it was being poured, what a mess. The job quickly passed the point of no return, the workers had to take loader buckets of concrete out back and dump it. But that's a different kind of job than floors, etc.

Thackery

I have to agree with Don, on this one. I had my shop floor done, professionally, and I'm as cheap as they come. I do respect my old back bone, and hope to get a few more years out of it. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Good advice from all of you. Now I have to decide which I will pour and if this old man can handle it on a DIY project. Cement yes, concrete however might be a bit much. :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :applause: :bellylaugh:

Thanks for all your input, it gave me more to consider before starting anything.

Reg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Reg:

All of my training in architectural design and of course my experience of the years as a contractor dictates that a slab has to be on a well drained undisturbed soil site with a good bed of 0"-3/4" crushed rock and re-enforced with either re-bar or re-enforcing wire mesh. If not then frost heaves will crack the floor. Ask me.. I cut corners years ago on my shop floor and omitted the re-enforcing wire mesh and my floor has literally broken up. Re-enforced concrete floors are a must. It only adds a couple hundred to the cost if you buy new mesh and substantially less if you use recycled products.

As Billy said if your a pouring a slab, then I would simply remove the overburden - aka - top soil and backfill with drainage material such as the crushed rock and build up the drainage so that it is higher than the surrounding grade. Tamp the crushed rock with a portable plate tamper inside the forms and then have at it.

Setting the foundation base and the forms is something you can do yourself, take your time, research it --- Reader's Digest Back To Basics has a good section on exactly this subject and is worth looking into or similar articles. You can even pour the floor yourself and screed the concrete as well. However I would definitely suggest that you hire a good concrete finisher who will not only float the floor but if control joints are needed, can do the job properly and economically.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

regwal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31558
eBay ID: regwal
Skype Name: regwal
Tractors Owned: 3 Cubs 1 CC
1955 Cub Slow Poke
1955 Cub Lil Red
1954 Cub Poor Thing
Cub Cadet 86
2254 Husky

Postby regwal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Rudy, Thanks. I am serching and asking questions at the same time. I will soon be ready to start and all the input here will be useful.
Reg

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 pm

The monolithic portions should be at least 12 inches below existing grade,be at least 12 inches wide at the base, and should have at least 2 #4 rebars in the lower 1/3 of the footing sections. You also need 1/2 inch "j" hook bolts ( hot dipped galvanized) with 7 inches of embedment in the concrete. The bolts need to be within 12" of each corner and joint in the bottom plate, and every 6 feet linear. The bottom plate should be treated yellow pine. If you dont have a good basic foundation, the rest of the building is irrelevant. If you have alot of slope on the site, I would recommend a stemwall slab.

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am

Don't remember the exact cost but I built a 32 X 60 and the concrete/cement floor cost more than the rest of the barn.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:57 am

You can figure if the cement is $1500 the labor will be that much too to have it floated and formed up
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Projects Forum”