This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Placing an electrolysis tank?

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Placing an electrolysis tank?

Postby midmo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:54 pm

How much risk is there in having your tank on the inside of your building? Say a 30'X30' building with doors shut. Can the gases get to the point of exploding?
Ron in Mid Missouri

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Placing an electrolysis tank?

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Ron:

There really has been a huge discussion on this. I have been using my tank ocassionally in the winter inside my pole barn. I used it in my cabinet shop during the winter as well. Mind you I have a pretty good extraction system in my cabinet shop - it can change all the air in the shop in a couple minutes. In the pole barn I plan on using a fan - either an old range hood or a 6" duct fan to handle the extraction in the pole barn.

midmo wrote:Can the gases get to the point of exploding?

I sincerely doubt it. If you are using a small say 30 amp charger there will probably never be enough hydrogen generated to cause an explosion simply because there is probably at least 9,000 cubic feet of air in your barn that would need to be diluted with enough hydrogen to get to that point.

One way to ensure that start up sparks from a motor doesn't cause a problem is to ensure that the motor is either enclosed or is a sealed unit.

As an aside, when I was a little younger and still had a nasty habit (smoking) I used to partake of said nasty habit whilst e-tanking and never had a problem That either means that I was just dumb and lucky or that there was never a significant amount of hydrogen off-gassed to cause a problem. Course this is JIMHO and is not based on empirical data, just anecdotal.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”