This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 1

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 1

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Since I have been going to night school for to get me an edumacation .. :lol: well at least some basic technical/hands on knowledge on how to weld properly I figured I may as well make a project that I can use :idea: :!: So that is what I did.

When I built my Wood Splitter I knew I would have to store it some place when it wasn't on Ellie or the Massey. Ray and I came up with an idea to store the splitter on the wall - which would serve a couple purposes. 1 - the splitter needs to be able to be mounted on Ellie by one person - usually me. I am limited to how much I can safely lift/force into place, so something had to be designed that would fulfill that need. 2 - it needs to be out of the way. What I came up with and built addresses both those parameters well. It will take some getting used to, and my reverse skills will get much better as I mate splitter to bracket :shock: :lol:

Here is what the business end of the splitter looks like. The whole idea of the project is for this part to slide onto the storage bracket business end:

Best way to do anything is to draw it first. Now I haven't drawn mechanical plans since grade 9 - almost 44 years ago. I mainly work with building construction/architectural/furniture drawing so I is a bit rusty. Click on the links for the full size scan.

Plan View

Elevation

Side View

Material for this project is pretty simple. 1 pc of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 48" Angle Iron and 1 pc of 5" x 1-1/4" x 11-3/4" C Channel. This project was done on a Miller combination GMAW/SMAW/Tig welder using the Mig application with gas. This is far easier than stick and it was fun.

Pretty simple to do - make sure the C Channel is centered on the Angle Iron and square, tack weld it in 4 - 6 spots and then proceed with the fillet welds. Here are some pics.

Wasn't happy with how I ran the first bead in one small section, so a second bead was applied, just not all the way. To make it pretty I should have run from end to end I guess - but that comes with practice.

Brought my project home, didn't even clean up the weld or remove the scale. Fixed that :D

To my mind, not bad for a beginner.

The second half of the project was pretty simple and really didn't need a plan aside from the one inside my cranium. While having the business end of the splitter perched on the storage bracket, it makes sense for some insurance so I fabricated this:

This should keep the other end of the splitter securely against the wall.

The hardest part of this section of the evenings projects was to weld the links to the 3" x 24" bar stock. At first I was going to simply weld one end of the chain to the bar stock but since the chain is galvanized that didn't work out so well. I picked up a couple of Grade 70 Self Coloured open links (when they cut chain they always have left over links and the guys at Princess gave me a bagful for future projects :) ) and tried to figure out which way was best to weld the chain link to the bar stock. I tried a few different positions but the opening always ended up skewed so I decided to weld the butts where the chain link was cut open. The one thing you have to watch is to not burn through the chain link cause it doesn't dissipate heat as well as the bar stock does, so a little practice was needed. Finally I was able to build up enough weld to ensure the link wasn't going anywhere. I then cut the link (where I had almost burned through :( ) cleaned up the rest of the goofed up weld and voila! ... a hook for the other end of the chain.

Will add more pics when the assembly is drilled, painted and mounted on the wall. (Right after I get Ellie running again and the ceiling in the pole barn finished :shock: )

All in all I enjoyed this little project which provided me with something I needed as well as giving me some badly needed practice welding.

Next installment - Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 2
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Wood Splitter Storage Bracket

Postby ricky racer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Looks like a well thought out plan, but I'd expect nothing less. :) Good looking welds there too, Rudi. :big afro: Make sure you show us pictures of the unit in use, because you know, we like pictures.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

papermaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04416
Tractors Owned: 1940 Farmall A, 1946 David Bradley,1948 F-Cub,Cub 22 Mower,194 Plow,Cub 3 Cultivator,54A Grader/Snow Blade, A-Cub 33 Bean Harvester

Postby papermaker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Nice looking welds. I take it that you aced the welding course!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Wasn't an exam per se.. it was all based on hands on stuff. I had a blast so I guess I aced it...... :D Looking forward to playing with some steel and burnin up some rods this spring/summer. Lots of projects.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

papermaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04416
Tractors Owned: 1940 Farmall A, 1946 David Bradley,1948 F-Cub,Cub 22 Mower,194 Plow,Cub 3 Cultivator,54A Grader/Snow Blade, A-Cub 33 Bean Harvester

Postby papermaker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 am

Those were stick welds? Nice!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 am

Jerry:

Thanks for the kind words.. they are appreciated. Actually them there are Mig welds. My stick welds were much better and I have a bit more experience with the stick than a Mig. I learned a lot -- mostly how to start a weld properly after the most important things such as heat/speed for Mig and amperage for stick. I is learnin slowly.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Rudi,

Looks like you are getting the hang of it. looks good.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Projects Forum”