This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Home for my Cubs

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Guys:

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated a lot. It means a lot when it comes from your friends. Basically the I-Beam idea arose from the bypass surgery and since. I cannot do what I used to so working smart not hard demanded that I do this. May as well do it now instead of wishing I had in the future.

Bill: I like her thinking...:big smile: unfortunately, we will still need lighting at night.. but it should be relatively warm even in winter with the southern exposure. And yup, I think the Clampetts will be happy in there.

Jim: By the time I get the racking done.. it will be just about full.

Gilles: I haven't forgotten your part in this... the electrical is yours. Gonna need some 220 in there for the welder and a bunch of 110 plugs as well. All flourescent light fixtures too... so there will be a mini-fest when you get here. Also, you will get a chance to take a run on Ellie.. maybe Granny too :!: And yup that is what I have been up to.

Ron: I know why I didn't do it sooner -- it is called 5 kids and 3 in university.. :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: 8) :lol: 8) And after the plumbing job.. I realized that I can't do what I used to, so I gots to work smarter and not harder. The I-Beam trolley will be really useful. So will the I-Beam Lawn Tractor Lift system that I am designing. Gonna need som proofing from all the pros here... that is for sure...

Eugene: Yeah it is what Em and everybody here call Rudi-ized... I always figure what I need then double it... that way I never have to worry. I also use ratios when deciding member sizes. And yeah, it is a little overbuilt.. but I figure when we have something coming at us like Hurrican Noel this weekend.. and it is gonna hit us square in the middle if the track remains constant, I am going to need all the over engineering I can get. I hope the rest of the shop stays together too.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: Also, the snow load is figured at approximately 100lbs/sq ft.. that is live plus 100 lbs/sq ft dead load. With the max span 7.1 feet.. 2x6's at 24 and cross strapped at 12 with 1/2" deck should suffice nicely. But, no not really is the design based on the snow load.. just experience. I have seen far too many buildings collapse because of insufficient design work.. and I made a deal with myself back in college when I was studying architecture to never ever skimp. My Dad also taught me a lot about that...

Oh another reason.. you should see the winds here. We had strong ones today.. mostly steady at about 50-60 kph with gusts almost twice that.. and dirt/dust devils were really common today. Got so bad I couldn't do anywork on the roof. Had to stay on the ground.

Ron: When you and Janelle come up next, we will see just how big a piece of equipment we might be able to fit in that tank.. Should be all ready by then. The M-H#1 Digger (parts one) is barely visible in the pics.. but much of that is going to have to go in whole as it is some froze up.

Cecil: This is what I was hoping to have done before you got here for our mini-fest visit this year. Next year, we will be able to work in well country style I guess.. Gonna need some room for the stuff :wink: 8) :D

Scott: No problem.. us navy guys need to keep it tight... :!:

Larry: I like the idea of the electric winches./hoists.. but a 5 ton is probably out of my pocketbook. I think I will be looking at a 600/1200 double line hoist and see where I can go beyond that.

Paul: I have been hoping to get the barn built to house the tank. Probably beginning of the week, Ray will lift the tank for me to it's new home on a sub floor at the west end of the shop just under the beam. I think a 400 Imp Gallon tank should be about as big as I will need to go, I hope.

Pete, Vince, Al: Thanks.. I appreciate. Already am kinda pleased. Vince, give our best to Annie..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 pm

rudi , thats going to be a nice shop when your done, we also broke ground for our garage/barn. we had the foundation poured this week and hopefully start building next spring.i really enjoy seeing all the different shops and barn that everybody has as it gives us alot of different ideas, thanks for the pics. the i beam is a great idea too.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 am

Looking good Rudi. Even when I don't feel like working, I go down to my shop every now and then and just stand there looking. :D
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:11 am

Rudi, That looks Great !!! Keep up the good work.

Paul K. in N.H.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:22 am

Rudi
You are coming right along.The last time I was there you only had the poles up.Looking good. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:38 am

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Rick:

As you have noticed :big smile: , there may be a bit of side to side sway. It is still basically a sky hook. Until we get it properly welded and then anchored it will do that. If it survives Hurricane/Tropical Storm Noel.. then when we get the roof done hopefully next week, then the issues should go away.

There will be next to no top loading, so compression is not an issue.. torsion is not an issue and the deflection concerns will be addressed by the bracing.

More pics to follow.

Our biggest concern is Hurrican Noel. They are forecasting winds of over 140 kph now and the storm is tracking right over us. We expect to lose power tonight as well and there maybe an awful lot of rain... it is currently raining and the winds are picking up.

A couple friends were over giving me a hand this afternoon. We got the first row of sheathing up on the new pole barn and across part of the old shop. This is going to make it even much more stable. We did leave about half of the completed framing unsheathed to minimize any collateral damage from the storm. Made it just in time. As we finished putting away the tools.. the rain started.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:22 pm

Howdy Rudi! When you and Gilles get to the electrical consider this in addition to or in lieu of some of those 10,000 outlets. Put a branch circuit in conduit up on the ceiling offset from the I-beam 5' or 6'. Break the conduit every 5' with a duplex box. Around here conduit typically comes in 10' joints.

Then be on the lookout for Harbor Freight, Princess, or whatever for a sale on 12AWG 25' extension cords. Get enough cords for each box on the ceiling. Determine the distance from the ceiling box down to head height - 6". Cut the female ends and wire them into the ceiling boxes. You will now have convenient drops for a grinder, light or whatever. Reach up, plug in, and go. The drops eliminate the hassle having an extension cord snake pit on your floor. On those rare occasions that you need to plug 2 items, use a 3-way tap. The 12AWG will carry the current for everything short of a welder.

If you want to be righteous about the drops, use a cable clamp up by the ceiling box to take the strain of the cord. Keep the male ends in a box, and you will have handy cords to rewire shop electrical items. The extension cords, when on sale, are cheaper than a piece of SJT and receptacle.

Enjoy your new digs!

Rick (envisioning a wireless shop) Dulas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:32 pm

drspiff wrote:Cut the female ends and wire them into the ceiling boxes. You will now have convenient drops for a grinder, light or whatever. Reach up, plug in, and go.

Rick, don't you mean "cut the male ends" (no jokes here okay guys). The female ends are what you want hanging down (again no jokes here either) :wink:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Bill, I believe you are correct and that is what Rick ment to say.

Paul K. in N.H.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:08 pm

I guess whenever you cut an extension cord, you are cutting one each male end and female end. The female end is the one whose length needs to be "the distance from the ceiling box down to head height - 6". "

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:58 pm

before you cut the cords up, check local electrical codes, if any. most prohibit extension cords in a permanent or wired in application.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Don't worry I am a licence electrician so things will be OK

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Rick:

Thanks for the idea... I hadn't gotten that far yet. But that is a good :idea: I shall look at Princess.. they have another sale on. And, I gots Gilles :big smile: :idea: :idea: :big afro:

Boy this is getting expensive. But I have saved a lot of money so far. I think I have spent less than $500.00 total on stock, but that doesn't include the tools and accessories that I had to buy.
  • 2 - new 4-1/2" Angle Grinders
  • 16 - 4-1/2" depressed centre Cut-off Wheels (almost $4.00 apiece - not on sale this month :roll: :( )
  • 1 - new Sawz All
  • 1 - new 14" Steel Cut-Off Saw
  • 4 - new 27" Steel Saw Horses (2 pair)
  • Pneumatic Stip Nails - 2-3/16"' and 3-1/4"
  • Windows, 2" x 6", 1" x 2", 1" x 3", - good deals :D
I know a lot of comments where on the overkill with the 2" x 6" stock. Currently standard grade 2" x 6" is running about $490.00/m or about $00.49/lin ft. And I bought the first batch of 12 foot 2" x 6" for $149.00 total - taxes in... Happy Harry's is a nice place to shop. I bought 2" x 6" for less than I can buy 2"x2" stock.

Plywood is free - just had to recycle some old sign faces my brother-in-law gave me. So far I have 88 4'-x10' exterior grade douglas fir plywood sheets for sheathing. Gonna be a nice barn. Got the first row of sheets up today before the storm started.

And I need sliding barn door hardware and the track. I remember seeing it at Princess last year ... seemed to be a stock item. Will have to check the Co-Op too I guess. I can't even remember what the stuff is actually called. All I know is that it uses a rectangular steel tube or inverted C-Channel.. has dolly wheels up top with levellers and guide wheels on the bottom that runs against the building... I want to build on 8 foot x 9 foot sliding door...

I got more pics downloaded and uploaded from Em's camera.. but it is too late to post tonight. I am bushed.. So far it has been a great couple of weeks.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:before you cut the cords up, check local electrical codes, if any. most prohibit extension cords in a permanent or wired in application.

Key word there is local. If it isn't allowed, it can be done with a full extension cord plugged in with a clip (like used with freezers) to keep the plug from coming out.

Return to “Projects Forum”