This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

and so it began...

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: and so it began...

Postby T-Mo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am

I don't think snow is much of a worry here and where Indy is at, which is the Missouri Ozarks. We do get some snows, and some ice, but it isn't as much as some of you guys get. I do remember a couple of big snows, once in 1982 about 2 feet, and back in 2002 we go about 18 inches over a 2 day period. But for the most part, it's 10 inches or less for most snow storms here in my part of Missouri. Now I probably jinx it and we are going to get a very snowy winter.....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:32 pm

Hard work!!. But it will be well rewarded for years to come :hattip: :hattip:

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 am

"old fashioned" work ethic ! all too rare today . you got it done and can now reap the benefits . taking down one of those 16' X 20' metal carports you see advertised installed ( alone ) , i started to second guess my choice of going cheap ( " floor model " , company went out of business , got it less than half price ) ." just pay someone to do it" would pop into my head as the sweat dripped in my eyes , middle of La. summer and a nice sunny work spot :!: Indy , I'm sure everytime you walk under it though , you feel kinda good . coppersmythe...................................

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:49 pm

I have a layer of limestone chat spread out inside. it currently houses some tools, a baker. 6.5 cubs, the 140, the TO20 ferguson, the JD 790. nine and a half tractors isn't too bad :P
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Indy4570 wrote:......
yes, I hammered all those pins in from a seated position :P The building used 50 pins made from rerod with a nut welded on top............
I realize it is a little late now, but those rerod pins are usually put in the a jack hammer type deal with a socket on it to fit the nut. You can rent electric ones pretty reasonable and it would have only taken a few minutes to do all of them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Indy4570 wrote:......
yes, I hammered all those pins in from a seated position :P The building used 50 pins made from rerod with a nut welded on top............
I realize it is a little late now, but those rerod pins are usually put in the a jack hammer type deal with a socket on it to fit the nut. You can rent electric ones pretty reasonable and it would have only taken a few minutes to do all of them.

I live on Ole RockyTop, nothing driven into the ground around here takes a few minutes ;)
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Really great project to read all at one time. Whew! You put a lot of work into but it is grand now with the extra braces and improvements. I didn't even know where you got an Isuzu diesel until reading this. I hope that project works well also. :hattip:

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:05 am

DSCF4524a.jpg
DSCF4519a.jpg
DSCF4537a.jpg
I have not updated this project mainly due to it being depressing I guess. it wasnt long after this building was all buttoned up that the depressing stuff began... maybe a week or two. It started small. a 5 inch tear. immediately loosened the ratchets that hold every thing on tight. Some gorilla tape and a heat gun to make sure it bonded. overt he next few weeks on one end nothing worked, rolls of tape, overlapping \patches, different methods of trying to stop the continuous tearing... In the end the only thing that could be determined was the 2 year age of the building was grossly misrepresented. The cover simply wasnt in that condition. it seemed brittle and easily torn all the sudden. The amount of effort that went into tearing it down, clearing the land( breaking the john deere FWD, yes it is still broken) this just made the building a sore spot and once we realized we were not gonna save this cover we stopped trying.

I looked at alternatives, billboard sign tarps, glue for the vinyl covering, maybe a tarp. everything was expensive and nothing seemed viable. The cost of a replacement cover was well over 2k. we used the end of the building that remained, and didn't store much in the torn end.

so anyways, finally a new replacement cover is on the frame, it is made from very heavy material, comes with a 12year warranty. it has a different style of end system, no lacing, but ratchet straps. we special ordered it the way we wanted. it wasnt cheap but was way cheaper than most and was about the same as the cover from the company that sells the barn, ( they actually never got back with an email quote despite a phone call and promises to do so) The original was only warranted for 7 years and is very thin compared to the new cover. I have a few more steps but I have about 2/3s of the leaves removed and almost all the tensioning done. Now if I can only find time to tear down that john deere and fix that front end ;)
Circle of Safety

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:40 am

Indy4570 wrote:
so anyways, finally a new replacement cover is on the frame, it is made from very heavy material, comes with a 12year warranty. it has a different style of end system, no lacing, but ratchet straps. we special ordered it the way we wanted.

Can you tell us where you got the replacement from? I've been using heavy duty tarps but they do not fit well and need lots of tie downs.
Paul Van Benschoten

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:15 am

My experience with a tarp shed wasn't good, either. And I started with a brand new one! I couldn't keep the tie downs tight, even after converting to ratchets. The anchors didn't work well and finally a Spring wind out of the North brought it down on top of my tractors. I was fed up with it and didn't try to save it. I wrote it up as a bad idea and bit the bullet and replaced it with a steel Quonset type building. I wish I had done that in the first place, would have saved a lot of money.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Paul Van Benschoten wrote:
Indy4570 wrote:
so anyways, finally a new replacement cover is on the frame, it is made from very heavy material, comes with a 12year warranty. it has a different style of end system, no lacing, but ratchet straps. we special ordered it the way we wanted.

Can you tell us where you got the replacement from? I've been using heavy duty tarps but they do not fit well and need lots of tie downs.

I had found the brand of building mine was by searching pics, I had no info when I bought it. found the brand being sold on ebay, but mostly on farm auction sites. I contacted them, they gave me a ballpark for a new cover. I spoke to a young man on the phone. he said he would give me a full quote with shipping in an email. that never happened. The wife found a site called "HoopBarn" I called them up. they gave me the same ballpark as the other guys but their tarp was 12yr warranty vrs 7 year. I made some custom changes but in the end it was way cheaper than anything I had found.

https://hoopbarn.com/
Circle of Safety

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:My experience with a tarp shed wasn't good, either. And I started with a brand new one! I couldn't keep the tie downs tight, even after converting to ratchets. The anchors didn't work well and finally a Spring wind out of the North brought it down on top of my tractors. I was fed up with it and didn't try to save it. I wrote it up as a bad idea and bit the bullet and replaced it with a steel Quonset type building. I wish I had done that in the first place, would have saved a lot of money.

I bought my barn used and for a very low price compared to new, I bought it for $700. we had to take it down but we got some extras too, some lumber, some shelving etc. now even with the cost of the new cover, we have only $2400 in it, much less than a 30ft x 40ft x15 hoop barn will cost you. and now we have a new 12yr warranted cover. I priced them and they are over 5k for the better ones. we did not replace the ends. an 18x20x6 carport with 3 sides will cost more than $2400. I priced those too.

I have 7 cubs, a TO20 Ferguson, a 59 Jeep FC170 dually and a bunch of other stuff inside, out of the rain, this is a GOOD thing :) :tractor:
Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Phew that was a bit of a big and tricky project for a guy who judging by the is no spring chicken. You are to be highly praised for your expertise and tenacity. It was no easy job, enjoy the benefits it will provide for you :worthy: :worthy: :hattip:

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:Phew that was a bit of a big and tricky project for a guy who judging by the is no spring chicken. You are to be highly praised for your expertise and tenacity. It was no easy job, enjoy the benefits it will provide for you :worthy: :worthy: :hattip:

Thank You
Circle of Safety

Return to “Projects Forum”