This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Workshop Advice Redux…Shop Lights?

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Workshop Advice Redux…Shop Lights?

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 am

Hey guys…I asked opinions about air vs. electric in a previous post. I am sinking some money into my workshop thus summer. I was wondering this time if you all could recommend a quality shop light. I currently have cheap, Home Depot specials that I bought 7 years ago. Bought about 10 and I am now down to 2.

I'd like to add some quality lights this time…4 footers. Any suggestions for a 4' garage/shop light that will operate at low temps. Not too concerned about noise…got the radio on most of the time anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Workshop Advice Redux…Shop Lights?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 am

Well, I will probably be the odd man out. I have 12 lights wired in 3 strings (3 separate switches) covering different parts of the shop, and bought the cheap Lowes hanging lights with pull chains so I can turn off ones not being used. In 7 years I have had 2 fail, with the 2nd one being last week. considering they were about $15 plus the bulbs, I have been pretty happy. They have the electronic ballasts, and do work in the cold. When it is below 20 degrees they only come on about 2/3 brightness, but reach full brightness in about a minute.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm like John. Had the same Lowe's cold temp 4 foot florescent cold temperature lights in son's garage/shop for close to 10 years without a failure. Also use the same fixtures in the shop on the acreage for 2 years without a failure.

The banks of light in the acreage shop lights and son's shop/garage are wired on separate switched circuits. Each light is plugged into a receptacle. In the event of a ballast failure, cheaper to and easy to replace the entire fixture.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 pm

I also have Lowes / Home Depot / Menards 4 ft shop light fixtures. 11 fixtures in all. 10 on four different switches and one on its own. I use T 12 40W bulbs. When it is cooler out, below 25 degrees, it takes a while to get warmed up but I just fire up the wood stove and wait for the shop to warm up some. I have had to replace 3 fixtures and 10 bulbs in 18 years.

Rodney 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Blair,

I wanted lots of light in my 24 X 30 Cubhouse. Eight foot T-8 fixtures in three rows of two, plus one over my workbench. If I am in the Cubhouse all the lights are on (no windows). Is it overkill? Probably, however no one working in my shop has complained about not enough light. Granted, I use supplemental light when working under the hood or something else that blocks light from above. The Cubhouse is heated/insulated so cold operation has not been an issue.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 am

Since I live in the great frozen north, I find it is important to have both incandescant and flourescent lighting.
The 4' tubes don't ever seem to get to full brightness in the winter so I have a few incandescants that dangle about during the winter.
The 4' tubes are plugged into switch controlled outlets and the incandescants get plugged in as well for winter.

Some day incandescent bulbs will get difficult to obtain. I may need another solution.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373-FL- ... facetInfo=
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 am

Blair, How high are the lights? You may need some of these http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Cei ... 5yc1vZc9h5
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 pm

I have about a dozen "shop lights" hanging in my shop and barn. They use a 4 ft. T12 bulb. Around here, the T12's are getting harder and harder to find. Also, they are going up in price all of the time. I have returned several to Lowe's for refund when they were bad out of the box. Sure gets frustrating at times.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Blair:

If you are going to get fluorescent lights make sure that they have the electronic ballast otherwise you won't get them to turn on properly or full brightness. I have been through a few of these - learned the hard way via the wallet that the electronic ballasts are an imperative especially here on the eastern seaboard.

I have gone almost exclusively to LED's for my spot lighting but I still have a few incandescent fixtures as well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 am

Barnyard wrote:Blair, How high are the lights? You may need some of these http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Cei ... 5yc1vZc9h5

Thanks for all of the advice gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Barnyard, my ceiling is 10' high. I just went through my garage and pulled out all of my old cheap lights. I am now literally in the dark.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Wow Bill .. them is expensive :shock:

Blair, my ceilings in the shop are also 10 foot. Needed that to be able to build commercial casework such as bank walls etc....

I have been using the new T-8 bulbs in fixtures with electronic ballasts both in the cabinet shop and in the pole barn. Even in -30F temps outdoors that is .. those fixtures come on instantly unlike the older ballast fixtures. And at approx $30.00 Cdn per fixture they proved to be quite affordable. I have 8 fixtures in the pole barn and I have or will have about 10 in the cabinet shop and another 8 in the finishing room. These are replacing my 8 foot fixtures which really are a PITB

Let us know what you decide to do to shed some light in your shop :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”