This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spotlight on Richard Hughes

Member Spotlight Forum
Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Spotlight on Richard Hughes

Postby Cecil » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:58 am

Name= Richard Hughes
Age=58
State/Province of residence==Ohio
Marital Status=happily married[/b
-- How many years (if married)= [b]25 yrs

-- Wife's name (if married)= Carolyn
Children=4
-- Boys/Girls=1 boy/3 girls
-- Ages?=24/41--38--33
Grand Children=8
-- Boys/Girls=5/3
-- Ages=3-4-10-11-13-14-17-18
Great Grand Children==NONE

Do you have any pets=yes
-- Names, breeds, =3 golden retrievers MUTTS--Jake--Nevada--Abby

Line of work==30yrs school transportation/Mechanics helper--4 as a master diver. I did not like moving around and so i came back home to farm with my dad. I was born in the country, and i don't like crowds or big cites
Retired or working=Retired
Degree's/Licenses/Certificates==master diver(demolition) electronic tech.--CDL

TRACTOR RELATED QUESTIONS
-------------------------
Tractors and models owned=1947 CUB (Dads)--1948 CUB--1949 CUB--1975 Y&W CUB--1926 REGULAR Full Steel (GRAMPAS)--1927-28 Regulars--1953 "H"(dads)--1951 AC-WD(dads)--1967 sears SS-12--2007 New Holland TC18--2003 JD LX 277--

-- Any other type of farm equipment==mowers--cultivators--sickel mower--plow disc--planter for cubs---8 sears attachments for SS12
post hole digger and driver for AC WD with AC loader--6' Bush Hog for "H"--case steel wheel plow bought with grampas Regular

Are your tractors used for show or working==Working

How much Land do you work (Acres)=60 ac. This is what is left of the farm where 9 generations of my family settled in 1793. My youngest grand son(4) is the 9 generation of my family to live on the farm.I hope to pass along the things given to me to his generation

What was your first tractor experience (does not have to be a Farmall or Cub=== I rode on the fender tool box on the AC with my dad from 3yrs old till about 10yrs old until I was allowed to pull a 100 Bu. wagon of corn about 3/4 mile down the road to the feed mill. Then when i was unloaded, I would stand by the RR tracks and wait for a train to come by. When dad came looking for me, it was the last time i lost track of what i was doing. When I was 13, I was backing this same wagon into a barn about 1/2 mile from the house. When I turned to look back behind me, the seat bolt broke. I went to grab for something and grabbed the hand clutch on the tractor.The tractor ran over my chest. I was able to walk home,into the house and to the top of the stairs. I then yelled to my mom in the basement,"MOM, I need help,the tractor just ran over me" I heard her tell me " O, Rick, i"m busy and don't have time to play games". That's the last thing i remember and when i woke up i was in the ICU at the hospital. It was 6 days later and after a 3 week stay i left the hospital and went home and started plowing the last field to be done. with the tractor.I can remember it like it happened today.

What is your Cub's primary work== I mow 3 1/2 acres and spay all the waterways and fence rows. Starting this year i hope to plow, disc, plant 5 1/2 acres of corn, beans,and white clover just so i have a good reason to keep buying Cubs. When i farmed ,I had big equipment and I had to get the crops in and out of the field.When I do do it with the cubs i do it because i enjoyed doing it and if i don't harvest the crops, then the deer can eat them.

What is the favorite Cub of all which you have owned and why==My 1947 Cub. I can remember going to pick it up from the mans house and getting to drive it for a test drive. The man had a daughter that was in my school class(3rd grade) and after she saw me driving the cub, I didn't think she was so yucky after all. we grew up and became best of friends. i even dated her awhile to try and make the boy she really liked jealous. we spent many hours telling each other about our boy friend/girl friend problems.

What first sparked your interest in owning a Cub==when dad passed away, my Mom gave me dads cub to me and asked that i pass it along to my son. I'm the only one who has a son in my family. He now has a 5yr old son, who rides around on the cubs with me

What task/use of your Cub provides the most enjoyable seat time==Cubby, because i never use it to work. I just drive it around the farm, and give the grand kids rides

Favorite thing you like about Cub's and Cadets==FarmaLL dot com and all the guys and gals that offer help. I'm very challenged when it comes to the computer and yet that never makes a difference. I have learned enough from Cub.com, I feel I can take on any project. PLUS my wife likes them.

Describe your most satisfying or frustrating experience working on your own or someone else's Cub==Before I found this site i was working late at nite on dads cub and could not get it started. I took the plugs out and had the plug wires laying down close to some metal parts. After wriggling some wires and turning it over gas came out of one of the cylinders and fire blew across the shop and caught a barrel of oily rags on fire. The end result was a fire with a lot of smoke. Fire engines coming down my drive and waking up everyone in the house. It was 6:30am. I was lucky in that I was not hurt and there was no damage to the shop, only my ego. A very GOOD lesson was learned.

Do you host or participate in CubFests, Cubarama, Mini-CubFests? How so?==I go to BiLLs Barnyard Bash and offer him any help he needs

OTHER ENJOYABLE ACTIVITIES
--------------------------
What other hobbies do you enjoy==Train's of all sizes. We are building a live steam track starting this year. I have a 1 1/2" steam engine and I'm building a few cars while learning woodworking in the process. We are getting honey bees in May which will give me a good reason for cub # 4 with the belly mower. There is a man in our Bee club who says we need to mow around the Bee hives with a Cub, so the Bees don't get upset. When my wife said she wanted to get the Bees, I said Ok--another cub with belly mower is in order.

Do you hunt or fish? No

-- What is your favorite game? Hop scotch i play it with the grand kids

What is your favorite Sport? Baseball

-- Do you have a favorite Sports team? Cleveland Indians

Favorite Book? Lima six, a seals story while serving in the delta. It was written by my seal commander and is a signed copy

Favorite Movie? Black beauty

Favorite Actor/Actress? Vic Morrow from the TV show--Combat

Magazine(s) you subscribe to?==Bee Culture--Garden Railways--Honey Bee--

Favorite outdoor activity?==siting on my deck with wife, kids, and G. kids and watching the trains go around

Do you maintain a garden==starting this year

-- How large?==100x100'

-- What vegetables do you grow? My wife is in charge of that. I do the plowing and discing

Do you maintain a personal orchard?==no

What is your favorite Quote or saying? I don't mind growing old, because I don't like the other choice

Do you have any immediate goals in your life?==To build enough track to be able to give rides to friends, family and visitors and to get my grandfathers Regular running

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Spotlight on Richard Hughes

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 am

Great bio Rick! Thanks for sharing.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 am

Great bio but that was pretty scary about falling and getting run over !
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Richard Hughes,
I really enjoyed reading your wonderful story :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: You sound real a real cool laid back guy, and a big Irish welcome to a great forum. great information on cubs, sometimes great fun & banter, great friendly guys who will help with any problem, enjoy.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Return to “Member Spotlight”