Windows scam

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 pm

I had received a couple of emails about a scam in which you receive a phone call claiming your computer was causing problems and they wanted you to provide them access so they could fix it. I got one today. the caller was very difficult to understand, the accent I believe may have been Africa, possibly Nigerian (placing people by accents used to be a hobby). The conversation started with the caller asking if i was the main user of windows on my computer, and continuing to My computer is causing problems, at which point I told him that scam was known and hung up. Sometimes if you are having computer problems or problems with a peripheral you need to grant access for on line help, but in this instance they are wanting to plant a virus and/or spyware.

Re: Windows scam

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Melissa stayed at our house while we were at DSCF. She called me one day while we were gone and said some one called and said there was a problem with Windows on my computer and she was to press 1 for further assistance. She said she hung up.

Yes, all different types of scams are out there and they either lead to a hacked computer or some type of outrageous credit card charge. It's a shame there are so many people out there with no real computer skills who fall for these.

Re: Windows scam

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi John,
Your voice / accent skills, I would venture to say are probably 100% correct.
Nigeria is a well known base for all sorts of fraudulent scams, from winning prizes, to banking, to phone, credit card, and computer hacking scams for relieving people of their hard-earned cash. So be constantly on guard.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.