Shortcut icons disappearing

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 pm

I have some shortcuts on my desktop mainly to picture folders that I use on a regular basis. For some reason they disappear every couple months or so. They are easy to put back, but it is annoying. does anyone have any suggestions? Windows 7.

Re: Shortcut icons disappearing

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 am

The way I fixed the problem is/was go to Control Panel, Action Center,troubleshooting,click Change Settings on the left hand side, then turn Computer Maintenance off, which was really wrong when I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642357

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks Jack. these are not broken links, but i will try that.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:05 am

John,

Did this fix help?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 am

I thought so, but yesterday they disappeared again. Keep wondering if I did that updated correctly, because it said to save in :C, did not include any directory.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 am

Update should cover everything on operating system.

Try this…

Windows 7 Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler >
(Upper left corner) Task Scheduler (Local) > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnosis > (Right pane)
enable all task history > Disabled…… or try this….. Click on view Task Scheduler (Local) scroll down to change an existing task and follow command.

Do you have windows 7 business or home and is it an upgrade from XP or Vista?

Maybe Dennis will step in here…. :? As you can see this PC is set on enable and I don't have the disappearing problems.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm

If it's XP, it's most likely the desktop cleanup service. If so, see this to turn it off: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320154

Dennis

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:50 pm

I have Windows 7 64 bit, and as I recall it says Home PRO. Jack I do not have the same info in my menus you did, and it came installed.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:13 am

I’m lost now John. The program in my PC is the business version, but should be the same on settings. I wish I could help, but this one is out of my league.