This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Windows 8 Question

How do I.... ?
hatchet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Windows 8 Question

Postby hatchet » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 pm

I have recently been through a layoff at work. I am actively looking for a new job and it seems that now days most job applications take place on-line. The job applications are not a problem to fill out, but I am having trouble when it comes to submitting the resume.

I probably should say that I have the Windows 8 version and the resume is located on the desktop. How do I get the resume from the desktop to the job application. My son , bless his heart, tries to tell me over the phone but I just don't get it. I could use some help, and some prayer . Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

goxu1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 2756
eBay ID: dog525
Tractors Owned: 1957 CUB
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Windows 8 Question

Postby goxu1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

I've only just got windows 8 , and hate it.
Are you trying to add your resume to an email ?
Can you right click the item on the desktop and "send to" ?
Cripes - I thought I'd never get one.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 am

Windows 8 is a drag and drop operating system. Open your email or application to submit the resume and then minimize the application. It hides in the upper left corner of the desktop.
Click and Drag your resume file to the upper left corner of the desktop and drop it on the open application.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

hatchet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hatchet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for your help. I'ts not an e-mail I am replying to.
I am registered with indeed.com , a job search engine. When I find a job I want to apply for , I fill out the application and at the end of it there is a part where you can submit your resume. I don't know how to '' drag'' or " click" my resume to this. My resume is on the desktop screen.

I am wondering , because sometimes there is a - doc. button. Should I have the resume in a " folder". I know I am in way over my head, and this is a lot of trouble. Tomorrow I will go to the county library and see if there is a book on windows 8. I probably should stick to working on Cub Cadets, ha .

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 pm

What they want you to do is to upload a file from your computer. This file would be your resume and I would assume it will be a Word or Office document depending on the extension (last 3-4 letters after the period at the end of the file name). If you have this saved on your desktop, you should be able to access it through Windows Explorer or as it is known in Windows 8 - File Explorer --- sheesh I think that is what it was called in Windows 2.8 IIRCC :roll:

What you need to do is open File Explorer, check your c drive and expand your Desktop. You should see your resume file name there. Then go back to your application form, hit the browse/find/upload file or whatever it is called and then follow through with that window and go to the file you identified in File Explorer. Click that file and poof, there you go. I hope I explained that clearly. Either way, click the link above that says File Explorer and it will take you to the Microsoft help page.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

hatchet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hatchet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Well, thanks for all the help about Windows 8. I've been busy with my job search and appointments. Have not had to look for work in the last 25 years, boy is it a different world.
I took a computer class at the local library, that helps some to.
The Lord knows where I need to be , so I'll just trust and obey.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Yup, it sure is a different world out there since many of us were young and out for our new job searches. Even after my military career I never worried about a job, always had one and then of course I decided I couldn't work for idjits anymore so I started working for a bigger idjit - --- - me :lol:

The Lord does have a plan, I know I have never understood it, but faith will carry you through, it has for me. Our prayers will be with ya as you continue your search and the journey He has laid out for you. (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Good luck with the search and keep your chin up. It sure can be humbling...

hatchet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby hatchet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 pm

10-4 guys, I appreciate that . May the Good Lord take a likin to ya. My prayers in your direction too.

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”