Switch to full style
How do I.... ?
Post a reply

Norton 360 5.0

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I just loaded Norton 360 version 5.0. It said it was going to uninstall the old version (or so I thought). It removed my old version and now I can't use my cd drive. Anyone familiar with this version?

Re: Norton 360 5.0

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Bill, we quit using Norton at the school because it got to invasive and conflicted with too many programs.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Bill:

Same here. I haven't allowed Norton on any of the family's computers or any of the ones I maintain for friends and former clients. Norton/Symantec is simply too invasive as BR said and it is a very resource demanding program that seems to have limited usefulness anymore. Norton is the prime target of hackers and it seems they have to really take over a computer to combat those threats.

Here is an old rule of thumb. You can only have 1 antivirus suite loaded/partially loaded on a system at once and that includes 2 versions of the same suite. If more than 1 is present problems usually present as I/O conflicts making some hardware unusable.

Barnyard wrote: It removed my old version and now I can't use my cd drive

And that seems to be what is happening.

You may have to manually remove via the control panel-remove/add programs, the old version or maybe both then reload the updated version if you still want to use Norton.

Personally I use System Mechanic Professional which gives me all the tools that I need. I augument that with Malwarybytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D and believe it or not Windows Defender to keep viruses/trojans/adaware and bots off of my puters. So far we have been pretty well virus free for about 5 or 6 years now.

Hope that helps.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Bill,
I haven't used Norton for years for the reason stated above. But I do occasionally bump into on a client's machine. Norton does offer a removal tool than can be very helpful. Take a look.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks guys.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Norton is supposed to protect you from viruses. I finally decided it IS a virus. It takes your machine over, hogs all the resources, keeps you from doing anything else and is impossible to get rid of. For the last several years, I have been using Trend Micro Security. I hope they don't go bloatware like so many others have.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:48 pm

I am now using AVG seems to work better with the forum I had McAfee

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 am

Bill, were you able to get it going?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 am

Yes, it is working now. I went to their online support and the guy was real helpful and got me through it. The cd drive started working befor eI got hold of them, but I just wanted to check with them before going any farther.

I have been using Norton for several years now and never seemed to have problems. I talked to three different IS gurus at work and they all reccommended 360 so I went with it again. Maybe I just never noticed problems in the past. Are there any other things I should watch for as for its performance?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am

I guess I am the exception, I have been using Norton for many years and been happy with it. My main use is browsing and email and I use the Internet Security 2012 at present. I like the way it watches all programs and downloads, including warning of attack sites you may be about to enter. I occasionally run addaware, or something similar, but they never find anything Norton has missed.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 am

I use:

Avast
MalwareBytes
Spybot
SpywareBlaster

All free. So far so good. My guru son recommended these so I listen to him. He's smarter than me. :) Just ask him. :roll: He used to use AVG but switched to Avast. Can't argue with the results. :{_}:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 am

Maybe I should have asked what oil to use in my Cub! :lol:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Barnyard wrote:Maybe I should have asked what oil to use in my Cub! :lol:
American !! :D :lol:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 pm

FWIW, I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Seem to be working fine for me.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I guess I am the exception, I have been using Norton for many years and been happy with it. My main use is browsing and email and I use the Internet Security 2012 at present. I like the way it watches all programs and downloads, including warning of attack sites you may be about to enter. I occasionally run addaware, or something similar, but they never find anything Norton has missed.

Not to worry, John, you're not the only one. I've been using Norton for 6 or 7 years on all my machines with no issues. Switched from McAfee, which I was having major issues with. I know at work, however, that we recently switched from Symantec (Norton) to Trend and I noticed an immediate improvement in my PC's performance there.
Post a reply