This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Webpage has expired........

How do I.... ?
Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Webpage has expired........

Postby Corky's Cub » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey Dennis,

I'm still getting a fairly regular message that "Webpage has expired" when I'm in a post from a thread, and hit the back button to return to the thread list. Can this be fixed? It happens regardless of where I sign on...I'm at a hotel lobby computer in Virginia tonight, and it's still happening.

Seems like it's timing out too fast, or maybe I'm just getting old and read too slow! :mrgreen:

Charles
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Webpage has expired........

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Charles:

That is a function primarily of the new MSHTML security protocols. Webpage dialogue boxes are basically an on-line form. The data is resident as long as you do not navigate away from the page. If you hit the back button, you are navigating away and the data expires because the form expires.. or is no longer really there. To see what you have, hit preview.. then make the changes you want. Going back is a PITBehind.. because of the new protocols.

There is a fix/work-around.. sort of. What you do is to refresh the page when you get that message. It will then result in a warning that the web page data cannot be refreshed without resending the data. It asks if you wish to.. click ok. Then it will refresh with the last known data that is cashed on your computer...

Otherwise, you will have to re-enter the data as you have discovered....

I am still learning all this stuff.. playing with CSS is helping and playing with Expressions Web is also a bit of a learning experience. IT is getting way to complicated to write basic anymore... :oops: :roll: :?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for the explanation Rudi...I figured it was something to do with the new format.

I'm an old dog...but even old dogs can change. :wink:

Charles
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:03 am

Charles
It did the same thing to me the other day and when I got back to where I was I reposted the same message and do you know I had two posts of the same thing and to top it off It didn't give me an opinion to delete one of them so some of you saw two post on the chicken topic in farm discussion board. :lol: :lol:
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:41 am

Jimbo, I had missed the double post, but went ahead and deleted it just now. when reading your posts (only good for your own, not other peoples) you will see at the upper right an X in a little square. clicking that will delete it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:08 am

John I have seen the X and used it. The only thing that shows on this post is edit ! and quote no X. Anyway thanks for deleting one of the post. :) :)
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:09 pm

jimbo9745 wrote:John I have seen the X and used it. The only thing that shows on this post is edit ! and quote no X. Anyway thanks for deleting one of the post. :) :)
Jim

Jim:

The edit function disappears once someone else responds to the thread after yours. That is to maintain thread integrity. As long as your post is the last in the thread, you may delete your last entry, however, you may not delete any prior posts within the thread after a posting has been made.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:49 pm

i USES THE BACK FEATURE IN FIRE FOX AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:33 am

Rudi wrote:
Jim:

The edit function disappears once someone else responds to the thread after yours. That is to maintain thread integrity. As long as your post is the last in the thread, you may delete your last entry, however, you may not delete any prior posts within the thread after a posting has been made.

Thanks Rudi that makes sense.
Jim
49 Cub

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 pm

I am getting that message or something similar on a regular basis. Both at home and at work. Never used to get it . Sometimes it will take 3 or more tries to make a post. Some times I just say the devil with it and dont post. Is it anything I can do on this end to keep it from happening?
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon May 05, 2008 10:37 am

There are lots of variables involved with this issue. Browsers that seem to exhibit this behavior are IE6 and some versions of IE7 (IE on Vista works fine, as does Firefox 2.07+).

Typically, the browser keeps a copy of posted data on your local C: drive (cache). When you hit the back button, the browser checks the cache to see if the page data is old, and gives you the warning to "refresh" the page for the latest information. For IE users, this will typically happen if you're clicking on the "view new posts" link, because that is submitting a search (form) -- forms expire in the cache to prevent reposting of data without the knowledge of the operator. As of now, on the forum side, I don't have a fix to this behavior.

Since I do not see this behavior, can you tell me if you click directly on the Cub Forum, click on any new topic, and hit the back button, do you get the expired page message?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 pm

I get it (IE6 or IE7) when I post a new message. The way I have been going back to the forum is by clicking my "back" button from the newly posted message until I get back to the forum that I was in. (I know... this is the long way around)... When I click "back" I get the expired page message, and if I continue to click the back button, I get to where I was...just no visual reference to which page I was on when I do that.

I also get it if I use "search" to find a key word. If I click through to a page on that search, and then use "back" to get back to the search, I end up with the same message. If I then click "refresh" I get a warning that the computer needs to resend the information, and I click OK...then I am back to the same search results page I just left when I clicked into a thread...

I have learned to be quick to click on the "Board Index" when I get a notification that my post has gone through. That eliminates the page expired notice...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 pm

WisconsinCubMan wrote:I get it (IE6 or IE7) when I post a new message. The way I have been going back to the forum is by clicking my "back" button from the newly posted message until I get back to the forum that I was in. (I know... this is the long way around)... When I click "back" I get the expired page message, and if I continue to click the back button, I get to where I was...just no visual reference to which page I was on when I do that.

I also get it if I use "search" to find a key word. If I click through to a page on that search, and then use "back" to get back to the search, I end up with the same message. If I then click "refresh" I get a warning that the computer needs to resend the information, and I click OK...then I am back to the same search results page I just left when I clicked into a thread...

I have learned to be quick to click on the "Board Index" when I get a notification that my post has gone through. That eliminates the page expired notice...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Thanks Mike. Everything I've researched on this continues to point to the IE browser and how it handles "posted" data in the cache. If after posting a message, you want to get back to the list, the double-click can work, if your fast, or use the back-button history to go back two pages.

If some have noticed, the new forum is very good at remembering what you have and have not read. You can always browse the forums directly and read forums/threads your interested in, and when finished use the "mark all forums read" link at the top to clear all the other posts. There are tons of ways to view the forum now, so experiment with which ones work for you.

Dennis

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Dennis (47 Cub) wrote:
Thanks Mike. Everything I've researched on this continues to point to the IE browser and how it handles "posted" data in the cache. If after posting a message, you want to get back to the list, the double-click can work, if your fast, or use the back-button history to go back two pages.

If some have noticed, the new forum is very good at remembering what you have and have not read. You can always browse the forums directly and read forums/threads your interested in, and when finished use the "mark all forums read" link at the top to clear all the other posts. There are tons of ways to view the forum now, so experiment with which ones work for you.

Dennis

Dennis:

That is exactly what I have been doing, using IE6 and going back 2 pages in the history to obviate the expired page error in IE. IE7 is a PITB for me, so I do not load it on my own puters...

Secondly, that is something that I have noticed and I really like. It sure beats losing everything whenever my puter froze. Now if I close IE or log off the forum, when I log back on the posts I haven't read are still highlighted.. so I get to see them all. I like that.. A LOT :!: :D

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”