This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

59cub governor issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16844

59cub governor issues

Postby Royalwulff24 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello guys, this is my first cub and the hand throttle control had very limited travel and was very hard to move. While running it the other day I pushed forward on the throttle to increase engine speed, when I tried to throttle back nothing happened, it wouldn't budge, I began to check it out, thought maybe a broken spring, I disconnected the hand control rod from the spring throttle lever and found it very very hard to move. Stopped there for now in hopes of getting a little insight into.what might be the problem. Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Randy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 59cub governor issues

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Forum. The lever that the throttle rod and governor rockshaft connect to is frozen. Start spraying all the connections with a good penetrating oil (like Kroil or PB Blaster). It may take several days and some patience to free it up. The cast lever is somewhat fragile, so do not try and force any movement. Also, your post will get more views if you place it under the Cub Forum rather than this message board forum.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16844

Postby Royalwulff24 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:43 am

Thank you Bob, I'll give it a try, and thank you for the advice on where to post next time.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I just went through this last month with my Cub after it had sat for several years. I removed the throttle rod and sprayed the governor lever down with Kroil a couple of times a day until it began to move a little. Then it was just keep oiling it and working it until it freed up. At one point, I switched to Marvel Mystery oil. It's working now.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing where to put penetrating oil on the lever on the governor. Apply it where the cotter key is in the pic, also at the other end of the lever, which you can see with a light from the right side.

Oil all the linkages with motor oil when it is free working, the clutch and brake pedal pivots too. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 4.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”