This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Review: Centech Didgital Tach/Dwel Meter

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Pfranck331
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61201
eBay ID: Greaceandgasoline
Tractors Owned: IH 154 Cub LoBoy 1972

Review: Centech Didgital Tach/Dwel Meter

Postby Pfranck331 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 am

image.jpeg

This is available at Harber Frieght. Price is $30.00 + tax.
I purchase this to monitor/set rpm while timing my 154 loboy, and verify point gap/dwell angle.
FAIL ON BOTH COUNTS.
After several attempts and repositioning the ct sensor and meter I was not able to obtain a stable repeatable measurement of either.
The Volt Ohm Amp functions seemed to work but I did not verify accuracy against my Fluke 86.
I did not open the k type thermocouple to test the thermometer before returning this for a refund.

My recommendation is : DON'T WAIST YOU TIME OR MONEY ON THIS. You might as well guess at rpm , and use your feeler gauge as you will still be guessing while staring at a nice large LED display with tHis.
There are better VOMs with thermometer out there in this price range, I only wanted this for the Tach / Dwell.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Review: Centech Didgital Tach/Dwel Meter

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Digital multimeters don’t work well on old tractors. I suspect the same goes for this one. I use an old analog dwell meter on my Cubs and it works fine as well as an analog multimeter. The old ignition systems drive digital meters bonkers with interference.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 am

I picked up one of these for a tachometer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1957-S ... 3373010826
Works great connected to the PTO. Just remember that on the numbered series, the PTO to Engine RPM's are not exactly 1:1.

Can't help with the dwell, except to recommend the Pertronix 1442 electronic ignition module (for 12v systems) and eliminate the need to adjust the dwell.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 pm

At the lower RPM these engines run dwell is not critical so long as the timing is right.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:20 pm

It does not read dwell, but if you work on ignitions much, including magnetos I have an item that is great. It is not cheap though, just under $150 on Amazon. It is a GTS TA100 Smart Tach. it reads both rpm and spark voltage, and also displays high and low readings for each. It replaced an OTC 3141 that I go to close to the end of a spark plug wire and when the spark jumped to it the OTC failed and was not repairable. The same thing has happened with this unit, but it did not bother it. It reads spark voltage and RPM on 1-12 cylinder, 2, 4 cycle and DIS (wasted spark), but I have found the DIS setting to not be stable and just use the appropriate 2 or 4 cycle setting and divide by 2.

Since the spark voltage is combined by a combination of condition of points, condenser, coil, rotor, cap, plug wires and spark plugs, including width of spark plug gap, I have combined it with an adjustable spark gap tester and an extra spark plug wire so I can control the spark gap to see if there is a problem and to help isolate where it is.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20700-Coil ... ark+tester

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Pfranck331
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61201
eBay ID: Greaceandgasoline
Tractors Owned: IH 154 Cub LoBoy 1972

Postby Pfranck331 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Outdoor, I used a mechanical Tach just like that one at work over 20 years ago.. Upgraded to a Photo Tach, much safer. Wish I had one now.

Denny, that was my conclusion as well , not shielded from rf caused by ignition,

John, that's a nice pice of equipment for sure, but I can't justify it atm.

Has anyone tried one of these Didgital Tach / hour meters? I have one similar to this on a motorcycle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Utility-Digita ... 31&vxp=mtr

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 am

Do an e-bay search for non contact/ infra-red / photo tach, thre are some small, inexpensive one available that actually work pretty well. I picked up one a few years back and it works fine. About $30 if I remember right.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”