This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Considering a new MIG welder

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Considering a new MIG welder

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello All,

I'm thinking of getting a bigger MIG machine. I currently have an old Miller 90 and an enormous Lincoln Idealarc 300/250 AC/DC stick welder. The Miller does alright on thinner materials, up to 1/8" pretty well. As some of you know I really enjoy metal and fab work and interestingly I use the Lincoln much more because much of what I work on is from 1/4" up to 1" steel. One deal I can found is a Hobart Handler 190 for $850 and comes with a spool gun. Not too bad I guess but they say it's only good for up to 5/16 mild steel. I was surprised by that, I thought that much amperage would do much heavier steel. In order to weld 1/2" in one pass one would need a 230 amp machine. I was confused by a statement I read by Lincoln about their 180 amp MIG which said it would weld 1/2" steel with fluxed wire. Is that valid or was it a misatake? FWIW Lincoln owns Hobart and Hobart doesn't say theirs will do that, but if what Lincoln says is valid then this Hobart 190 should be able to as well. Here's a quote,

"The Lincoln Easy MIG 180 Welder is an ideal choice for farm, light fabrication, auto or home projects. If you have access to industrial 208/230V power, you'll be able to weld up to 3/16in. for MIG welding or 1/2in. with gasless flux core welding. Compatible with the Lincoln Electric Magnum 100SG spoolgun (Item# 44732, sold separately). Weld Thickness (in.): 1/2, Weldable Metals: Steel, stainless steel, aluminum, Power Cord (ft.): 6, Regulator and Gas Hose Included: Yes, Welding Wire Diameter (in.): .025-.045, Wire Feed Speed Control: 50-500 IPM, Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 18 5/8 x 10 1/8 x 14, Mig Ready: Yes, Amps: 180, Shielding Gas Required: Yes, when welding MIG, Volts: 230, Cart: No, Clamp Cable Length (ft.): 10, Duty Cycle: 30% @ 130A"

The 1/2" welds are with self-shielded Lincoln Innershield wire (FCAW-S) which is a .045" fluxed wire and might explain why it will weld 1/2" material. The Hobart does not take wire that large. So - I guess I answered my own question

While perusing I came across an Eastwood 175 that has the same duty rating as both the Hobart 190 and the Lincoln 180, also rated for 5/16" steel and uses a Tweeco gun, and also does not handle .045" wire. It comes with a spool gun and a cart for $530?? It's supposedly engineered/designed in the US but built in China. Here's link to the Eastwood, http://www.eastwood.com/mig175-welder-and-cart-kit.html

It looks like I'll be searching for a Lincoln 180 or similar, gotta wonder what amperage one needs for welding 1/2" - probably all she's got, then the duty cycle goes way down... ah well, my head hurts! ...or maybe, I'll stick (no pun intended) to what I got! :coffee:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Re: Considering a new MIG welder

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:09 pm

i just bought the hobart 190 but it didnt come with the spool gun. so far i like it but i'm only using it for sheetmetal work. i'm pretty sure that hobart is owned by miller. i have a millermatic 200 and that been a great welder.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Re: Considering a new MIG welder

Postby Smokeycub » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Rob in NH wrote:i'm pretty sure that hobart is owned by miller.

You're right. It's all pretty confusing especially after reading so much about so many makes and models. ..but I am learning a lot. For example Lincoln makes a line of welders for Lowe's which is a knock off of their own machine, it has Lincoln on the box, looks the same, same basic spec's, similar product codes(HD at the end of the code that makes you think "heavy duty" but in reality stands for "Home Depot"), but a cheapened product.

Still investigating stuff, I'll keep you posted.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”