Re: Torque wrench

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:41 pm

I chase virtually all tapped holes before re-assembling. It certainly does not hurt anything, but makes assembly a lot easier. Doesn't take much time to do it.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Also, clean the bolt threads. I do mine on a wire wheel, but a wire brush would suffice.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 pm

I have new bolts, they do have a fine coating of oil on them but do they need to be clean before putting on anti seize?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Not new bolts, only used ones.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:12 am

It looks like the torque settings are anywhere from 35-45 lbs. for the headbolts. With anti-seize they should be reduced 40 -45%. This seems to be mostly a difference in the person torquing. I figured I would torque them with 30 lbs with anti seize. I will find out if it leaks after this.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 am

Dale Finch wrote:Did you "chase" the bolt hole threads with a tap to clean them out before reinstalling? I had a similar thing happen with brand new stainless radiator bolts. After luckily getting out one that broke while torqueing, I chased all holes and easily was able to properly torque.
Yep, I did….I chased them and put never seize on them…I felt almost like the bolt was stretching before it broke on the install and of course the one that broke during removal was just stubborn….I checked with the seller and he said they came from a USA supplier but did not know the origin of the bolts….He replaced the bolt with 2 long and 2 short so I thought that was decent…Also could have been my torque wrench not clicking correctly I suppose… :lol:….Part of the suspense I guess, being able to rectify a situation…. :applause: :lol: