Ace Hardware Paint

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.

Just got back from my local Ace Hardware store to get a can of ACE School Bus Yellow. The regular price for a 15 oz can is $4.99. They have a sale for the month of July for $3.00/ can. I stocked up! This price is good for all colors.

Re: Ace Hardware Paint

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:02 pm

I like their international blue. I'll have to check with my local ACE!

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah Thomas, I really like their IH Blue. Their IH Red is a little too much "rose" colored to suit me. I have been using their School Bus yellow to paint some sheet metal on my yellow and white cub. Don't know how good it matches as I have nothing good and clean to compare it to. I do like the large 15 oz can and the fan type spray nozzle. Makes me think that I am using a spray gun, just like the big boys. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 am

I like the Ace paint, too. The yellow takes a few extra coats to get full coverage, though.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 am

Don McCombs wrote:I like the Ace paint, too. The yellow takes a few extra coats to get full coverage, though.

That seems to be a trait of yellow paint. I've had that happen, with multiple brands.
Ed

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:45 am

when painting yellow, you should paint over a white base to get the correct shade.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Since this thread has shifted to yellow paint, I have a question about the correct color. Federal Safety Yellow seems to be the "correct" yellow for a Cub and Cadet. Every time I meet a Penske truck, I wonder if their color is Federal Safety Yellow. Does anyone know what color Penske or yellow construction trucks are?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 am

Last week, I checked with the Westlake Ace Hardware in nearby town that has two stores. Since they do not stock the International Blue, she said they could not sell it to me for the sale price; a special order item. Hmmm....

Picking up lunch yesterday, 30 miles away near my office, there's a Westlake Ace Hardware store. Went in and asked a manager same question, "Will you sell me the paint in your warehouse for the sale price?" "Sure!" Give me the SKU number and I'll order it. Hmmm....

So, on my way back home yesterday, I stopped in the other Ace Hardware store near me and asked same question. "Sure, I'll order it!"

Moral of this story: persistence. Don't give up asking if you think you've been short-changed with a wrong answer.

I'll pick up a case of Int'l Blue (6 cans) for $18 on Wednesday, that's 40% off. :mrgreen: Got a Cub-22 mower resto in my near future that'll be blue.

BTW: I used Ace "School Bus Yellow" on my PTO shields and Ace "Almond Gloss" on the wheels, mule drive and deck of my Cub Cadet 782 (see below). Very close matches to the original paint.

This paint is great stuff; worth the effort to acquire. :coffee: