This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery Maintainers

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
vttrailboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05701

Re: Battery Maintainers

Postby vttrailboss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 am

Can the charger plug be added, and used while everything (terminals) is hooked up? Normally, I'd simply plug it in when needed, but not disconnect the battery from the tractor/car/boat. Is there anyway this could damage anything?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 am

Jim –Mr E---Thanks for the note on the chargers . Ordered two from Amazon
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm

vttrailboss wrote:Can the charger plug be added, and used while everything (terminals) is hooked up? Normally, I'd simply plug it in when needed, but not disconnect the battery from the tractor/car/boat. Is there anyway this could damage anything?
I use mine that way all the time. i cannot see any possible way for them to damage anything. Most of them come with interchangeable large alligator clips and a set of terminals. On the cubs and anything else that is easy to get to I just use the alligator clips, but on my Farmall H I used the terminals since it is kind of unhandy to get too. simply disconnect the plug going to the terminals when I want to drive the tractor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

vttrailboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05701

Postby vttrailboss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks John,

That's what I've always done, but someone mentioned it could hurt a cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I do not see how, ignition switch has coil and points disconnected, light switch has headlights disconnected, and regulator/cutout has generator disconnected. There is nothing left. The only possibility I can see is if the maintainer goes bad it may boil over the battery and get acid inside the box, but that is a rare happening with a maintainer.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:07 pm

vttrailboss wrote: it could hurt a cub.

It's hard to hurt a Cub. That's why we love them. :||):
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a 12V Cigarette lighter plug wired on my 184 that I use to power my sprayer.
I put a connector on my battery maintainer and connect my maintainer through this. Works fine on a 184.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't worry about disconnecting the battery when it is on a maintainer. Be aware that if your electrical system has some sort of leakage, the added load could cause a maintainer to fault off while it might not if the battery is disconnected. I consider that problem to be a long shot.

On the 6-volt Cubs, it is pretty to easy to connect with the alligator clips. The hot clip can go at the starter switch and the ground anywhere handy. A hot connection on a 12-volt Cub has to be behind the dash or under the platform at the starting relay. So on the my 12-volt Cubs I permanently attached the ring connector to an ammeter lug and a rear gas tank bolt. The connector tucks in under the gas tank when the tractor is in use. This assumes you have the complete battery box in place.

I am using a cigarette lighter plug in a car that I keep on a maintainer.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Jim's comments are referring to a cub that was 12 volts from the factory, not one that was converted. One that was converted from 6 volts to 12 volts can still be connected the same as the original 6 volt connection, except you need to pay attention to polarity. Normal polarity is 6 volt = + ground = red lead to ground and black clip on starter stud. Normal polarity for 12 volts is the opposite. 12 volts = neg. (-) ground, = red clip on battery lead, and black on ground.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Whilst Em and I were stateside, I took the liberty of picking up a few items (battery maintainers) and some consumables :big smile: however the Walmart in Augusta didn't have that exact model on sale. The model they did have was not for $17.99 but for $19.49 or something like that. Either way it was still cheaper than anything available here that I am aware of. Will look at the model number tomorrow.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 pm

The $17 one was an online price (I ordered ship-to-store for $0 freight charge). The most similar one on the shelf here was $21+.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I knew that after talking with the salesclerk .. shoulda mentioned it :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I have to keep my cub in a three sided shed and it doesn't have electrical power. About a year ago I picked up on line one of those 6 volt solar maintainers commonly used for batteries in outdoor animal feeders. Seems to do a good job. Although it doesn't look durable enough to me to last very long out in the rain and snow.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”