Re: Battery Maintainers

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 am

Can the charger plug be added, and used while everything (terminals) is hooked up? Normally, I'd simply plug it in when needed, but not disconnect the battery from the tractor/car/boat. Is there anyway this could damage anything?

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 am

Jim –Mr E---Thanks for the note on the chargers . Ordered two from Amazon

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm

vttrailboss wrote:Can the charger plug be added, and used while everything (terminals) is hooked up? Normally, I'd simply plug it in when needed, but not disconnect the battery from the tractor/car/boat. Is there anyway this could damage anything?
I use mine that way all the time. i cannot see any possible way for them to damage anything. Most of them come with interchangeable large alligator clips and a set of terminals. On the cubs and anything else that is easy to get to I just use the alligator clips, but on my Farmall H I used the terminals since it is kind of unhandy to get too. simply disconnect the plug going to the terminals when I want to drive the tractor.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks John,

That's what I've always done, but someone mentioned it could hurt a cub.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I do not see how, ignition switch has coil and points disconnected, light switch has headlights disconnected, and regulator/cutout has generator disconnected. There is nothing left. The only possibility I can see is if the maintainer goes bad it may boil over the battery and get acid inside the box, but that is a rare happening with a maintainer.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:07 pm

vttrailboss wrote: it could hurt a cub.

It's hard to hurt a Cub. That's why we love them. :||):

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a 12V Cigarette lighter plug wired on my 184 that I use to power my sprayer.
I put a connector on my battery maintainer and connect my maintainer through this. Works fine on a 184.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't worry about disconnecting the battery when it is on a maintainer. Be aware that if your electrical system has some sort of leakage, the added load could cause a maintainer to fault off while it might not if the battery is disconnected. I consider that problem to be a long shot.

On the 6-volt Cubs, it is pretty to easy to connect with the alligator clips. The hot clip can go at the starter switch and the ground anywhere handy. A hot connection on a 12-volt Cub has to be behind the dash or under the platform at the starting relay. So on the my 12-volt Cubs I permanently attached the ring connector to an ammeter lug and a rear gas tank bolt. The connector tucks in under the gas tank when the tractor is in use. This assumes you have the complete battery box in place.

I am using a cigarette lighter plug in a car that I keep on a maintainer.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Jim's comments are referring to a cub that was 12 volts from the factory, not one that was converted. One that was converted from 6 volts to 12 volts can still be connected the same as the original 6 volt connection, except you need to pay attention to polarity. Normal polarity is 6 volt = + ground = red lead to ground and black clip on starter stud. Normal polarity for 12 volts is the opposite. 12 volts = neg. (-) ground, = red clip on battery lead, and black on ground.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Whilst Em and I were stateside, I took the liberty of picking up a few items (battery maintainers) and some consumables :big smile: however the Walmart in Augusta didn't have that exact model on sale. The model they did have was not for $17.99 but for $19.49 or something like that. Either way it was still cheaper than anything available here that I am aware of. Will look at the model number tomorrow.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 pm

The $17 one was an online price (I ordered ship-to-store for $0 freight charge). The most similar one on the shelf here was $21+.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I knew that after talking with the salesclerk .. shoulda mentioned it :oops:

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I have to keep my cub in a three sided shed and it doesn't have electrical power. About a year ago I picked up on line one of those 6 volt solar maintainers commonly used for batteries in outdoor animal feeders. Seems to do a good job. Although it doesn't look durable enough to me to last very long out in the rain and snow.