This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Cadet

Postby DanR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 am

If I had known who actually made this Cub Cadet I would not have bought it. 250 hours and two years old. It has been serviced every 50 hours, cleaned after every use. always stored inside. The B&S engine still runs beautifully. The rest of the machine is junk. All wheels worn out because they have no bushing or bearings. Reverse is out . The spindles are shot. Idler pulleys shot . The deck is more than half rusted thru. Most of these failures are due to an extremely poor lubrication system and use of cheep materials. Poor workmanship by the assemblers is evident. A $2000 investment for two years use says this is junk.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Cub Cadet

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm always reluctant to say this here, but when it comes to lawn and garden tractors, nothing runs like a Deere.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Don McCombs wrote:... when it comes to lawn and garden tractors, nothing runs like a Deere.

My JD-777 and I agree!!

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Which cub cadet are you talking about? My 1282 says it's a cub cadet but its not made by them. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DanR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:29 am

It's a LTX 1046. My understanding is that the Deere was a fine machine before MTD got them. I'm not sure about the newer ones.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 am

Don McCombs wrote:I'm always reluctant to say this here, but when it comes to lawn and garden tractors, nothing runs like a Deere.

Agreed, as my '89 JD 420 with over 2,000 hours on the meter is still going strong (knock on wood). But even Deere has their big box store models now. :roll: The Deere dealers around here won't even work on them. I believe Deere still makes the models the dealers sell.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am

Don McCombs wrote:I'm always reluctant to say this here, but when it comes to lawn and garden tractors, nothing runs like a Deere.

Well I have had my L-111 what 5 years now? I have no complaints with the B&S engine in it even though it is kinda big at 20 hp. It has issues -- though not relating to the construction but more suitability of a hydro to certain areas of my property. Off slope mowing and the Deere is pretty cool. Uses more fuel than my Cub but still pretty easy all things considered. The one huge problem I have with the Deere is the quality of the finish. The mower deck started peeling yellow paint after a couple weeks and the tractor deck started peeling paint after the first season. I always washed the unit completely after each mowing but could not seem to stop the peeling. The paint peels off in strips and small sheets .. really infuriating.

My Cub Cadet 129 however has very little rust aside from a bit of surface rust on some areas that have scrapes. This unit sat outside under a deck at the PO's cottage about 30 miles from here for over 20 years. Surprisingly it is in great shape. The kohler has been rebuilt and only has about 5 hours on it, and is still free. It needs work though.

On hills I much prefer my gear drive Craftsman and would love to have Gord's 108 to handle those areas of my yard as the gear drives are very stable on slopes. I find with my Deere that the rear is much lighter and tends to slide on the slope and loses traction. The front is very heavy with that 20 hp under the composite hood. I cannot move the L-111 by myself if it gets stuck. I literally have to have help or get Ellie out to pull the JD up the slope. Rather disconcerting ..... :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 am

I use a gulp!! Deere, for lawn mowing. Kind of hard to drive, wearing a bag over my head, so the neighbors won't know that its me, though. Theft resistant, too, as it blends in, with the grass and dandelions! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 am

No reason to be ashamed, Ed. There's lots of us out here. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 am

I likewise use a JD X320 lawn tractor which seems to be significantly more stout than the JD's sold by Lowes.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am

The line of items sold by the stores like Lowes, Walmart, etc. are frequently a cheaper version made just for them. Even the computer companies used to have a special model they produced only for certain store chains for the Black Friday sales. I learned that when I had a problem with one, and when I went to the HP site and put it the model number it stated in the info, manufactured exclusively for Best Buy
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DanR » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Right you are John. I found a 6 year old Deere with low hours. It was sold by a JD dealer. After I got it home I went to Lowe's for comparison. Tinker Toy vs Caterpillar. You get the idea.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”