This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Left hand drill bits

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Left hand drill bits

Postby Mht » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:32 am

I’ve always heard about using left hand bits to remove broken bolts but have never tried them. I happened to see a set at harbor freight and they were cheap enough that I figured I’d try a set. I got home and decided to try them on a broken bolt in my cub hood. I started with a small one and started working up through the different sizes. As I got to the largest I thought I could use the bit grabbed in the bolt and spun it out. I was surprised at how sharp the bits were. They drilled better than some name brand drill bits in my collection do. I don’t know if I just got lucky or if all of harbor freights left hand bits are this good but for the price of the set I would recommend giving them a try

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Left hand drill bits

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Re: Left hand drill bits

Postby MiCarl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:21 pm

I've got a 4 piece Harbor Freight set I've used for years. They are still sharp but they really don't do a lot of drilling.

To keep wear to a minimum I usually select the one that I expect to work, then put a pilot hole a bit smaller with a RH bit. Then the LH bit tends to cut too aggressively and jam - extracting the screw or bolt.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”