This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cordless Impact Gun Recommendation?

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cordless Impact Gun Recommendation?

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 am

I need to do the springs and shocks on my car and read that an impact gun will make using the spring compressor alot easier not to mention wheel bolts, shock tower nut, exhaust bolts etc..
I'm curious what you guys think of your cordless impact wrenches and what voltage and other specs I should look for. I'm obviously just a hack mechanic and don't need professional quality/cost.

Thanks.

Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Cordless Impact Gun Recommendation?

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 am

I use an 18 volt DeWalt impact wrench. Works well but may not be heavy enough for some tasks. For heavy duty work, I use 1/2" drive, air powered, impact wrenches and sockets made for impact wrenches.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:08 am

I ordered this for myself last December and told Candy that is what she was getting me for Christmas. http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF889HM2- ... act+wrench At that time it was $20 or so cheaper. I wanted something with 300 ft. lbs. of torque. A lot of cordless types don't have near that much power. If you already have a cordless drill with 18 volts or so check for a bare impact wrench that will use your batteries. My drill (Porter Cable) wasn't compatible with any impacts.

It works very well and, like Eugene, I have a 1/2" air impact for the heavier stuff.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 am

Like Eugene, I use Dewalt 18 volt cordless, though after 3 years my batteries are getting shorter lives. I actually 3 of them. My first one was this kit, kind of pricey now, but delivers 300 ft lbs of loosening torque, so they claim, but I question that figure. I also bought a lug socket kit that fits most lug nuts and is real handy
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-1 ... act+wrench

Once you get that kit with 2 batteries and charger you can buy bare tools (tool only, no charger or battery) much cheaper. I alos have this one, tightening force is approx 100 pounds which is the right force fr most wheel lugs.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool- ... act+wrench

plus a small impact driver I uses for removal of most cub bolts. Dewalt sells on Amazon, and has so far had the best prices I have found anywhere. If you have time to browse the tools on amazon and then wait a week or two, it is amazing how often they go on sale. Dewalt now has a line of 20 volt tools out that I assume is intended to replace the 18 volt, or maybe to supplement it with a little more power. It is real handy to have drills, impact tools, saws, etc. that all use the same battery.

When neither of those will do it, I grab this one, but be careful with it, I have broken a 5/8 bolt that was stuck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-Prof ... MiJ9%0D%0A

Looks like it is on sale at present
http://www.harborfreight.com/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the replys and links guys. You all brought up some points I hadn't considered. This gives me a lot to go on. Appreciate it.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 am

I have both a 1/2" air impact and a 1/2" 110 volt corded electric impact. Both work well but I use the air impact more due to it's lighter weight. The 110 volt impact is handy where I don't have air available. A cordless one would be nice if it has enough power.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 am

i have a dewalt 18 volt impact gun. its nice for lugnuts and cubstuff and when i go someplace i usually take it along just in case i get a flat
i also have an ir air gun that is good for the stubborn nuts and bolts.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am

My DeWalt DW059B is probably my favorite tool... I have a lot of 18v stuff and like John says the batteries have a lifespan. When it's time for new batteries I buy a 'reman' kit with batteries, case, charger.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 am

I stated earlier that they frequently went on slae, here is the same big wrench I posted earlier, but $50 cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-1 ... act+wrench

With the impact wrenches you do need to get a set of impact sockets, I recommend both a set of deep well and standard ones. I have been using the cheapies from Harbor Freight for 35 years, and have yet to break one.

I bought a small canvas tool bag that is just big enough to hold my big Dewalt, 2 batteries, and this socket set which fits most lug nus, which goes along anytime I make a trip of any length.
http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-Imp ... ug+sockets

As another additional note, I also have a 4 1/2 inch cut-off/grinder, reciprocal saw (including Lennox metal cutting blades as well as standard wood cutting blades), Skil type circular saw, all of which use my same 18 volt battery. I even have one of the small impact drivers with socket adapters that I use for most disassembly (creative grammar :lol: ). As I get older arthritis as well as other problems make every movement a pain, so I look for ways to make things easier as much as possible.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 am

I have pretty much the same listing of DeWalt 18 volt battery powered tools that John does.

Batteries do have a limited life. I wait until the big box store has a sale on 18 volt DeWalt batteries. Can usually pick up a package of 2 batteries, on sale, for a bit more than the store typically prices one battery.

I have 2 remanufactured 18 volt DeWalt batteries. They work ok, but their work time is considerably less than new batteries.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pfranck331
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61201
eBay ID: Greaceandgasoline
Tractors Owned: IH 154 Cub LoBoy 1972

Postby Pfranck331 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 pm

I used a Dwalt 20 volt at work , ( HVAC SERVICE) and at home , when I retired 2 years ago I missed it so I got a Porter cable set from Low's, I am happy with the impact and drill, every bit as good as DWalt imho. Only thing is it's about 3/8 inch longer. Doesn't quite fit into some places as nice.

Like I said I'm retired so I don't use these every day but I do allot of maintaining & repair on my family's stuff.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Pfranck331 wrote:I used a Dwalt 20 volt at work , ( HVAC SERVICE) and at home , when I retired 2 years ago I missed it so I got a Porter cable set from Low's, I am happy with the impact and drill, every bit as good as DWalt imho. Only thing is it's about 3/8 inch longer. Doesn't quite fit into some places as nice.
They make 90 degree angled cordless impact drivers. The quality ones are expensive, to expensive in my opinion for a seldom used tool.

Don't have a recommendation as to brand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”