December 7th

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:46 pm

It was very little on the tube about Pear Haber yesterday, not much on this forum either. How quick things are forgotten.
Let it not be lost in time.
Boss

Re: December 7th

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I am with you Boss, couple old war flics on yesterday and not much else
Tim

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

I agree we should NEVER forget and be ever vigilant . Thanks Boss for the reminder .

Berlin

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Every thing was about Nelson Mandela!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm

My unsolicited opinion is; My parent's generation (born in the 20's), one of the biggest stories of their lives. My generation (born in the 50's), we were not around for it, but always very aware of how big it is. I have to give credit to some people born in the 80's and 90's. I work with a lot of them and we have association through things like Facebook. I was quite surprised at how many of them were posting about Pearl Harbor yesterday. Many of them are too young to even remember Ronald Reagan, but they seemed to know Pearl Harbor.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Jack Rinninger was a local small town police chief in the Village of Cleves who I had the pleasure of knowing. During WW2 he was stationed on the USS Vestal when it was hit at Pearl Harbor. Sometimes he would talk about it with us and you could almost feel the hurt inside him. The VFW always held a memorial service on December 7th where a wreath was placed in the waters of the Ohio River. As a veteran of that bombing Jack was asked to place that wreath every year. It was always a front page story in the Cincinnati papers. After Jack passed away in 2011 I have never seen a story about the memorial service.

I guess as more of the survivors pass on, the less we will hear about this event. It will only be read about in history books.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 am

My parents were married on Dec. 6, 1941. My dad was in the Army two weeks later. I wonder how many veterans were in similar circumstances.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 am

The Military Channel had several hours on Pearl Harbor.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for remembering Boss....My dad was in all the big ones in WW2, captured, CIB, purple heart, Bronze Star...If it wasn't for all their sacrifices we'd all be speaking German or Japanese today....WW2 vets.... God Bless You....And also the civilians who sacrificed so much during that time so that we might live in freedom today...