This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cathi's Book Finally Published!!!!

Prayer Requests, Family Announcements, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, etc.
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Cathi's Book Finally Published!!!!

Postby gitractorman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Hey gang,

My wife, Cathi, whom several of you have met, decided to write a book as a guide to young families to help with decisions about making time for your family and how to go about it. It is really a guide based on a lot of the things that we went through, decisions that we had to make, and help to those who would like to spend more time home with their kids, and brings in a little bit about faith and how good things can happen.

We made this decision when our oldest was born, 9 years ago, that Cathi would stay home from work, even though she actually made more money than me at the time. We figured out that the combination of her longer drive to work, work clothes, daycare, and other miscellaneous expenses, meant that she would have to work 29 hours per week just to break even. We decided that the other 11 hours we would be getting paid was not worth all of the hastle, and decided that she should leave her job to stay home.

Turns out this was the best decision that we ever made. Cathi was actually able to start a business working from home, allowing her to be at home with the kids nearly all of the time, and it prompted her to write this book to help others with the same types of decisions.

She wrote the book in her first couple of years off, and we have been trying to get it published for over 4 years now. We finally worked with a marketing agency through a friend of her father's, who took this on as a personal project, and helped us to self-publish the book.

The book is called Ditch the Joneses / Discover Your Family, and we just picked up our first 1000 copies yesterday!!! We are both very excited, Cathi that the book is finally in print, and me for Cathi for working so hard and achieving such a tremendous goal.

Cathi's website is http://www.ditchthe.com and it is up and running but not fully functional yet. The printers actually finished the books about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so the web designer still has some work to do yet.

If anyone would like a copy of the book, please feel free to e-mail or PM me directly, and I'll work out the logistics. I'll provide more details for anyone that is interested.

Thank you,
Bill
Last edited by gitractorman on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Re: Cathi's Book Finally Published!!!!

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Congrats. The wife wants me to write a book of my escapades during my drinking days, and the challenges and high points of my recovery. How i did kinda thing. From the ashes shor of thing. Some day.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Bill, congratulations to you and especially Cathi. Having a book published is quite an accomplishment. :D

Also, congratulations on making such a hard decission. Annie and I made the same decission when our daughter was born. It wasn't easy for us either but 30 years later we don't regret it for a second. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Same here and good for her.

While all our friends were buying new cars, big houses, fancy furniture and the such(requiring 2 incomes) we decided that one of us would stay home with the kids.

We did without most of that, and most of them asked why our kids were so much better behaved than theirs and such....

I worked many hrs the first 18 yrs, then when I went out on disability, Jan stepped to the plate and did what it took.

Our girls are 23 and 21 now and we are proud of the fine Christian women they have become.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 am

Bill,

Congratulations to both of you and to Cathi for putting things into words to share with others.

We also made the decision for my wife to stay at home and focus on the family, almost 30 years ago when we got married. Early years were lean at times but we all benefited for it in the long run. Best decision ever for us!

Best of luck to her with the book,
David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 am

Bill:

Congrats to you and to Cathi :applause: for the courage to make a decision such as this, it takes a lot of courage especially to fly in the face of what was viewed then as a common sense approach to financial security.

Em and I made the same choice in 1983 when I was posted to Germany. She made substantially more than I did. She was an executive secretary to a deputy minister in the federal government and I was simply a soldier -- :roll: We have never regretted that decision even though it has been financially more difficult. It certainly has been the best choice for us as a family and for the kids especially.

For Cathi to have written a book and then to have it published - self published is an amazing feat and one to be proud of. I hope that the book sells well and leads her on to maybe a follow on project.

Hers makes two members wives who are now published authors... I wonder if this is a trend beginning :?: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Well, we are finally up and running :D Cathi's website is working now, www.ditchthe.com. It has taken us this long to work out the paypal, shipping, taxes (I'm sorry for you other NY residents) and to get everything functional, but now it's done!

Thank you to everyone who has made such great comments. I showed them to Cathi and she too said to tell you guys Thank You! She also found out on Monday that several area book stores have offered to do book signing events for her, and two have alreay placed orders for books to sell on consignment. We are both very excited.

Thanks again,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 am

Bill:

Nice site :!: Like the cover art as well. Hope Cathi does well with the book and you have to have several re-printings with ever-growing numbers. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Well, I wanted to give a brief update to Cathi's book. Things have been going very good for her, and the summer and fall have been busy with many book signings, presentations (including Kingdom Bound in August), radio interviews, and yes, even a television interview aired last Friday. We can also now say she has sold Internationally, as she did a book signing in Scarborough (Toronto) Canada back in September, and that bookstore has continued selling her book.

Cathi's website http://www.ditchthe.com has taken off with lots of information regarding her press releases, speaking engagements, book signings, and events. Additionally, her blog Smallest Inspirations, and Twitter and Facebook pages are getting lots of attention.

Thank you to the many of you for your good wishes and support. This is something that Cathi dreamed about, and it is slowly gaining momentum. We are still hoping to gain the attention of a publisher, but for now, we are sticking with self-publishing, and have actually placed our second order for her workbook on CD.

Thank you,
Bill

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Glad you updated this as I never saw this thread. It's great to hear somebody put a book out with some common sense.
Anna takes great pride in being a "housewife" or "stay at home mom". It is the most NEEDED yet most lacking job in America, and I know all the work she does on the farm while I'm gone besides wrangling the kids. Amazing !
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Wow, that is pretty cool. I'll have to trade you for a copy of the childrens book that was written about my farm and it's previous owner. The Goat Lady. Actually I'll give you a copy and buy a few of her books, my brother Tim just had kid number 7 and the other brothers have a bunch of little ones so it sounds like practical reading and good Christmas gifts

Chris

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:20 am

Very, very cool Bill! I also just stumbled onto this post too... I sent along this thread and a link to Cathi's site to my favorite DJ at my local radio station, so you may get a little promo from out east (and around the world at mvyradio.com).

Funny thing, I went looking for the photo of you and your son... what I found is that there are many photos from my trip to the 2006 Ohio Cubfest with smiling children and Dad or Grandpa on a Cub. :D

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 am

Larry,
Thanks so much for posting that picture.

Cathi also wanted to thank everyone for their support. She added that anyone who wants to buy a book, you can go through her website or let me know. Also, if you want a signed copy, there should be a spot when ordering to request it, or you can PM or e-mail and I'll make sure it happens.

Thank you again, everyone, from the bottom of our hearts.
Bill

Return to “Sharing with Friends and Family”