This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

OT satelite???

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

OT satelite???

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:25 pm

Here in the eastern time zone (at 7:15 eastern) there is a very bright object in the SSW sky, about 20 degrees above the horizon. Does anyone know if it is a geosynchronous satelite? It's new to me, and is the only thing visible besides the moon. I've enjoyed finding satelites illuminated by the setting sun, but haven't ever seen a stationary one like this.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:54 pm

My sources say that it's BigDog's new space based Cub locator. Wrapping your Cubs in aluminum foil won't help.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:52 pm

I seen something real low in the sky about two weeks ago that was shining brighter then most everthing else. It was about WSW from me.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:00 am

George,
It can't be a geosynchronous satellite, they are all located over the equator. It might be a elleptical orbiting satellite, it would be moving really slowly and take some time to move through it's orbit. It probably is Venus which appears as the evening star. There are a couple of other planets but I can't seem to think of which ones they are right now.
George if you like space related stuff take a look at this page: http://science.nasa.gov/RealTime/JTrack/ I know your on a dial up like me so be careful with that J-track 3-D one! It's great but it's a very large file but does some very interesting things.

Ron W.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:53 am

I noticed it up in NY at miniCubfest, in the western sky but not exactly sure where due west was. So I figured Venus was mighty bright away from the air and light pollution I am used to.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm

I think you're right, Carl. I think it's Venus. :)
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:39 pm

I think it's Venus. I saw it tonight, low in the western sky, bright as can be with the full moon rising in the east. Venus must be close to us and in it's full phase. I'd get out the telescope but it's too low in the sky to see it here at the house.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm

It's definitely Venus. I just walked down to the dock and looked at it with binoculars. Mars is rising in the east right now and is almost equally as bright. :shock:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:29 pm

Don McCombs wrote:It's definitely Venus. I just walked down to the dock and looked at it with binoculars. Mars is rising in the east right now and is almost equally as bright. :shock:

Thanks, Don, Ron, and Carl. You're probably right. It seemed quite a bit too south (as seen from here) to be on the ecliptic... far enough south to possibly be over the equator. It's apparent brightness is greater than Mars was at its' closest in August.

I've been watching Mars for several months, and I'm trying to predict its' path by casual observation. For a while I thought it was losing pace against a nearby landmark the "seven sisters" constellation, but now it appears to to be gaining. Observing the night sky is a side benefit of walking the dog. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 pm

George:

Pretty awesome isn't it, especially if you are lucky enough to live in an area that has little to no light pollution.

It is a real eye opener. If I got into town, about a 5 minute drive westward, I lose most of my nighttime stargazing -- all to light pollution, but around the house -- well it is just majestic... pitch dark, especially behind the house now that I have removed the two night lights we used to have for insurance purposes....

In the summer, and even the fall especially during the Leonids :?: we will take our chairs or even a blanket, go out behind the house and watch the stars and the meteorites... awesome.

Very nice as well to see the ISS which we do occassionally. We even got to see MIR before it did it's Swan Lake a few years ago. The last high earth orbit passed directly over our house :!: Awesome experience.....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”