This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Keeping warm this Winter

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:01 pm

Jim:

If you are going to go to a secondary heat source and wood is being considered whether it is pelletized, blocks or standard old wood.. there may be some issues with insurance compaines and coverage.

However, if you actually utiilize a wood furnace - forced air type and have a good stainless steel double walled chimney with a good surround, then there should be no issues. Wood furnaces, properly cleaned and maintained are as safe or safer than other forms of fuel. Of course, the chimney must be cleaned regularily (twice a year is our norm) and you should burn a mix of species. Mono species as a fuel can lead to either very hot fires or smoldering fires. Smoldering will increase the creosote accumulation and hot fires will warp the chamber.

Em and I have burned a good mix of hard, semi-hard and coniferous woods for years and have yet to have any major issues with our insurance company. In fact, since I took out the propane backup and converted that to electricity with wood still the primary our rates have decreased a fair amount, much to my surprise.

I have used natural gas, oil, propane, pellets, electricity and wood furnaces either as primary or as secondary systems and I much prefer the wood furnace.

I am not all that happy about the wood stoves, they look nice, but are the more dangerous than others. Also, having said that, wood stoves properly cared for and used according to the manufactures directions (assuming a pro instal up to man specs and code) should be rather innocuous as far as chances of an uncontrolled fire go.

Insurance companies however don't like these stoves much....

Yust me two cents..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

my stock pile

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:42 pm

heres my solution. boys and i been busy so far this fall.
notice the fresh paint on the gravity wagon, red with white frame & rims. i did try and pull em up the hill with the 55 stainless, just wouldnt do it. so i had to break out the Mahindra.

john

[url=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/videodoc/misc/woodcache1a.jpg[/url]In the Field :?[/url]

Close to Home :D

hope the pictures go in. figured how to shrink em.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:33 pm

How much your home owners insurance charges depends on how stove is installed. Mine is in the basement, concrete floor and chimney goes out through concrete wall to masonry chimney. Extra insurance is $15 per year. If you install one of the systems where the furnace is outside the house, sxuh as the aHardy hot water system (takes a lot of wood), or one of the systems that has hot air ducts to the house, the extra charge is minimal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:12 pm

John:

I never quite figured out what the advantage to one of them thar outdoor thingys was :?: :? :roll:

Seems to me at -40F and in your jammies, it is gonna be mighty chilly when you go to add a stick or two :shock: :? :!: :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Like you I have my wood furnace in the basement, the wood room is on the other side of the centre sill behind a wall and I can stack anywhere from 9 full cords to 12 cords depending on how high I wanna stack the wood.

This way, I get to keep warm :D :!: :idea: in the middle of the night should the furnace need an extra stick or two. :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that my basement is 10 feet 11 inches to the underside of the joists :?: :arrow: :!: :roll: Don't ask :!: Looooong story, includes an engineer from some unknown university in Africa I think and his idea of slope required for a sewer line :!: :!: :arrow: :roll: :shock:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm

trying it again. just practive boys, maybe i'll figure out to get a pic in here.
even my bench on th eporch is a version of IH red. did ya all notice?

got it in there. anything i need to do better?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:51 pm

John:

Check your email k :?: :D

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:13 am

Over here in Brittany, we do not have very severe winters, usually for 2 months we can go down to 25f and on occasions a lot lower, but usually not too bad, humid atmosphere here though. We use about 1300lit (343 gal) of oil per year that's hot water all the time and 66°f at all times indoors. Drops at night to about 60. That cost us 750 €uros in May (950us$), price is going up though.
We have installed a condensing, low temp boiler which is very efficient, under-floor heating on the groundfloor and rads upstairs.
It is only a small house but very well insulated
We have a large open fireplace that is often used in winter for the effect of having a live fire in the place, it's greatest and very efficient effect is the dust that it produces. It heats well though.
I have in mind running a copper coil (thickwall) in the ashes to preheat our hot water to the taps, that may save a few litres a year of oil.
PS we used to be set at 20°c (68) but came down to 19 (66) for economy.
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:07 am

Rudi wrote:John:

I never quite figured out what the advantage to one of them thar outdoor thingys was :?: :? :roll:

Seems to me at -40F and in your jammies, it is gonna be mighty chilly when you go to add a stick or two :shock: :? :!: :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:

The thing most people like about them is most of the outdoor units onlly need filled once a day, so unlesss you were your jammies all day that's not a problme. second feature many people like is all the wood, ash, etc. stays out of the house, so if you are a neatness freak it helps.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:12 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Rudi wrote:John:

The thing most people like about them is most of the outdoor units onlly need filled once a day, so unlesss you were your jammies all day that's not a problme. second feature many people like is all the wood, ash, etc. stays out of the house, so if you are a neatness freak it helps.

3rd is that most Ins. companys are ok with them as the fire is not in the house.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:49 am

Ijust had my propane tank filled it was $1.59 and this was agricultural price in NC i think this shows that we are being ripped off by the number of different prices.
Jim

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:22 am

Well I had been looking at the pellet stoves but they are to high to me. And the pellets have gone up this year. I have a free standing gas log heater in the living/computer room and reinstalled another gas heater I had stopped using in the kitchen/dining room. I plan to not run the central gas furnace and close the doors to 2 rooms, and turn down the heat in the area I'm not in. Have 2 100,000 btu unit heaters hanging in the shop I will not use much at all. I think I have enough wood for this winter for the shop. I have no woods to cut firewood on. And the good old boys around here have gone up on there so called load of wood just like OPEC. Sure am glad I'm not up North where it gets cold.
Young man for work, old man for advice

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:49 pm

Here in Michigan I have heard the prices of the corn burners have about dubbled. And while I still plan powering and heating the house using a diesel generator burning strait vegatable oil. But I do not know if I can get it set up before it gets so cold I cannot get it set up. Most of the oats are off here and they have started harevesting corn. I haven't heard from my brothers as to weather they got their oats and pressed out the oil yet or not. As I have been working out of town I only got 1/4 of the wood I need for the winter. My wood stove will burn coal any one know where I can get a ton of coal and what it would cost in south east michigan :?:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:17 pm

I have a 1930's prizer-painter cook stove, which happily burns wood or coal. (wood bakes better as most cook-stove owners know) We switch to coal usually after thanksgiving, as we need heat at that point during the night, and the little firebox only holds enough wood for about 2 hours at most. Coal here last week was $93 / ton (anthracite right from the mine on my pickup truck). My little cookstove is enough to keep the house comfortable all winter long. The house is a 2 story, 40X40, solid masonry downstairs (hand poured concrete block to look like stone) and wood frame, wood siding upstairs. Once in a while, though, those stove lids glow red in the dark.

The cool thing is that we are just the opposite of Cowboy, and use next to no electricity in the winter, as we cook most meals on the cookstove, and no longer have to run the A/C all the time (I keep the house at about 65F all summer long, so everyone can breathe).

We burn about 4 ton of coal a year in that stove, and a whole lot of slabs from my cousin's saw mill (a 1943 belt driven rig, under shed, run by a farmall H, that'll take 36' logs) Mostly hemlock, oak, and cherry slabs.

I do have an oil boiler, but I don't think it would run anymore, after not being used for so many years. I think what I resent most about heating oil, aside from being expensive, is giving all that money to countries that wish us extreme ill. If it were only Exxon, and only Western Stockholders were getting wealthy off the deal, I really wouldn't mind so much.

Return to “Off Topic”