Cordless impact driver

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 000000
Circle of Safety: Y

Cordless impact driver

Postby Jackman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 am

For those with a cordless impact driver, what do you recomend :?: I want a good cordless impact in the $200-250 range , its got work on old rusty stuff like found on a Cub :mrgreen: and also remove and install mower blades twice a week all summer long , just a good solid unit not a homeowner type . Oppinions please :?:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Cordless impact driver

Postby Barnyard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 am

I use an 18v Milwaukee only because my other cordless tools are 18v. It works pretty good for most things and I like it. However, there a some 24v drivers out there that really have some power to them.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 am

Dewalt makes a good impact driver. They make two different grades of tools. One grade for the home owner and the other for contractors. Buy the contractor grade tools.

My only recommendation is that all your cordless tools are of the same make and use the same batteries and chargers.

Once you make a decision, keep an eye on sales.

Edit. I'm using only 18 volt Dewalt, because my other cordless tools are 18 volt Dewalt. As Bill states there are other more powerful tools in the same brand.

I have several pneumatic impact drivers. All my repair work is conducted in one of the shop buildings, have generator sets and air compressors. If I really need the power, pneumatic impact drivers and other tools.
I have an excuse. CRS.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
59 Woods Mower

Postby T-Mo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am

I have Dewalt 18v cordless tools,including a 1/2 inch impact driver. It works pretty good for most jobs, including loosening lug nuts on my vehicles. We bought my brother in law a Porter Cable 20v Lithium 1/2 inch impact driver that seems to work pretty good also, and it was less expensive than the Dewalt.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

We got Aron the Milwaukee #2763 18V Fuel 1/2" Impact Wrench for Graduation from UTI back in December. Funny this topic comes up just now. He started a new job a month ago at Quality Fleet Service in South Hadley, MA. He was tearing down a piece of equipment to do a repair job and grabbed his impact wrench to break loose some 1 1/4" nuts. Boss looked at him like he was saying "you're kidding", and told him to use the air tools they have at the shop. Aron smiled and said watch this....proceeded to spin off all the nuts without a problem.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Pompiere
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 am

I have a Ryobi 1/2 inch drive impact from Home Depot. Like others have said, I got it because I already had other Ryobi tools and batteries. It is plenty strong most of the time. Sometimes I need to use a breaker bar to break the rust loose. I have owned it a couple years, and I think the latest version has more torque. I also have an air impact, but the cordless is really convenient. Besides the drill, it is probably my most used cordless tool.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Be careful in your search, most cordless impact drivers are on the order of heavy duty screw drivers with the hex bit holder. Cordless impact wrenches are the heavier duty for rusted bolts such as found on cubs. I have a set of Dewalt 18 volt stuff, from the little impact driver, 1/2 inch 2oo ftlb, `1/2 inch 320 ft lb, 3/8 drill, right angle drill, 4 1/2 inch cut off (grinder), reciprocal saw, and circular saw. Best place I have found to buy them is Amazon, Dewalt sells on there, and at good prices. Since they have come out with the 20 volt stuff the 18 volt ones have gotten cheaper.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mike H
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 49945
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 am

I broke the 18v. dewalt impack driver [clutch].
tried to find a repair shop up here [no go]
was cheaper to buy the 20 volt replacement than the 18v.
so the upgrade / replacement begins.

Mike

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am

I, like several others, have a collection of DeWalt 18v. tools. They have been fantastic tools but are now becoming obsolete, with all the new versions available. I think you'll find people who will endorse several different brands, they're all good! With your proposed budget, it's clear you are shopping for a quality driver. Stick by your guns and buy the brand that you are most confident with.

Pompiere
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Be careful in your search, most cordless impact drivers are on the order of heavy duty screw drivers with the hex bit holder. Cordless impact wrenches are the heavier duty for rusted bolts such as found on cubs. I have a set of Dewalt 18 volt stuff, from the little impact driver, 1/2 inch 2oo ftlb, `1/2 inch 320 ft lb, 3/8 drill, right angle drill, 4 1/2 inch cut off (grinder), reciprocal saw, and circular saw. Best place I have found to buy them is Amazon, Dewalt sells on there, and at good prices. Since they have come out with the 20 volt stuff the 18 volt ones have gotten cheaper.

My wife and daughter ran into that when they went to purchase my impact wrench. They had to be persistent with the salesman who wanted to sell them the 1/4 inch driver instead. I already had the 1/4 inch impact. It works much better than a drill for driving long screws in wood. There is very little kickback.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Before you purchase a single impact driver, consider the kits being offered by the brand of your choice.

After reading the replies on this forum, going to start replacing my 18V Dewalts with the 20V version. My 18V saws all and drill are on their last legs.

Going to continue with Dewalt products. My daughter has 18V Dewalt products, so, as I replace my 18V with 20V, I can give her the working tools, chargers, and batteries.

I'm on my 3rd cordless saws all. That is my most frequently used cordless tool.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Eugene wrote:...... going to start replacing my 18V Dewalts with the 20V version. My 18V saws all and drill are on their last legs.

Going to continue with Dewalt products. My daughter has 18V Dewalt products, so, as I replace my 18V with 20V, I can give her the working tools, chargers, and batteries.

I would love to upgrade to the 20 volt tools, but it would cost me a small fortune, according to my count I have 10 different 18 volt Dewalt items. As a side note, they do make an adapter that allows you to use the 20 volt batteries in the 18 volt tools, though the last time I looked it was a little pricey. Just checked, the price on the adapter has come down considerably.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCA1820-D ... lt+adapter

We had Milwaukee drills, etc. at work, and I think they were a little better quality, though that has been a few years ago so I do not know if that still holds true. Also the price was considerably more, actually the difference was not enough to justify the price difference.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I just had the cells on two Dewalt batteries replaced at Batteries Plus. Cost was about 1/3 less and they even upgraded a smaller one (1500 ma (?)) to 2100 ma by using a case out of their recycle bin.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Bob, Batteries Plus must be better than in this area. The ones in my area charge more than the price of new batteries.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Bob, Batteries Plus must be better than in this area. The ones in my area charge more than the price of new batteries.
The Dewalt 18V comparable batteries I purchased from Batteries Plus didn't hold up.
I have an excuse. CRS.