This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

snakes

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Re: snakes

Postby torchred89 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 pm

In 1985 I had To go to The Middle East. I had a party before I left and somebody was lifting my weights and hit the dry wall and put a hole in it. When I got home a month later there was a 5 ft snake skin on the floor next to my bed. I looked under the bed in the closet nothing so I went to bed.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tass13
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21619

Postby Tass13 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 pm

I have to agree with the "No mice, No snakes" rule indoors. I have a kennel full of bird dogs and If I do by chance run into one outdoors, I let the ones that flee LIVE, if anything wants to hold their ground, I follow the advice of the "Red Queen" .... "OFF With Their Heads!!!"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Shortly after purchasing the acreage, weeds taller than the pickup, son and I managed to get the pickup jammed and sort of stuck in the woods.

At home, next day, when I opened the pickup door a green snake about 1 1/2 foot long crawled out of the truck.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Landreo wrote:Guard snake that keeps an eye on my barn. It rattles to let you know it is serious.

However, the one in the bottom photo really keeps the place safe.

20170528_102722 (Medium).jpg

That’s a big copperhead. Though their venom isn’t the strongest out there you don’t want to risk a bite. If you have kids or pets around I’d relocate him to the woods somewhere down the road. Out of the “black snakes “ it’s a king snake that will eat other snakes. Pine and bull snakes like that one found under the trucks hood will too. Black rat snakes will clean out mice and rats and are your best friend in a barn.
Ever notice them up in the rafters? They are climbers and do so to eat eggs and baby birds. Got a pigeon problem in your barn? Put a black rat in there and you won’t for long ;).
The green snake you found in your truck is about the most inoffensive harmless snake you’ll find and feed primary on insects. Rattlers and copperheads though dangerous I’d prefer to see relocated as they do have their place in nature.
On cottonmouths, your right, they don’t back off for anything. Everything else will turn and leave more often than before you’ll ever know they were there. Rat snakes will sometimes hold their ground but are so benificial your best to leave them be.
On rainy nights down south cottonmouths are everywhere.
If you couldn’t guess by now I like snakes and sometimes go looking for them. Driving in South Georgia one rainy night I came across some two dozen snakes. Different kinds but easily more than half were cottonmouths. I learned one thing over there years, you don’t walk in the grass on a rainy night without being damned careful there. They don’t flee and are too easy to step on. Like a living landmine. If bitten tissue distruction from their venom is severe.
I’d prefer relocating any other snake you don’t want around but if you chose to dispatch a cottonmouth I’d understand.
They are dangerous.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:
Landreo wrote:Guard snake that keeps an eye on my barn. It rattles to let you know it is serious.

However, the one in the bottom photo really keeps the place safe.

20170528_102722 (Medium).jpg

That’s a big copperhead. Though their venom isn’t the strongest out there you don’t want to risk a bite. If you have kids or pets around I’d relocate him to the woods somewhere down the road. Out of the “black snakes “ it’s a king snake that will eat other snakes. Pine and bull snakes like that one found under the trucks hood will too. Black rat snakes will clean out mice and rats and are your best friend in a barn.
Ever notice them up in the rafters? They are climbers and do so to eat eggs and baby birds. Got a pigeon problem in your barn? Put a black rat in there and you won’t for long ;).
The green snake you found in your truck is about the most inoffensive harmless snake you’ll find and feed primary on insects. Rattlers and copperheads though dangerous I’d prefer to see relocated as they do have their place in nature.
On cottonmouths, your right, they don’t back off for anything. Everything else will turn and leave more often than before you’ll ever know they were there. Rat snakes will sometimes hold their ground but are so benificial your best to leave them be.
On rainy nights down south cottonmouths are everywhere.
If you couldn’t guess by now I like snakes and sometimes go looking for them. Driving in South Georgia one rainy night I came across some two dozen snakes. Different kinds but easily more than half were cottonmouths. I learned one thing over there years, you don’t walk in the grass on a rainy night without being damned careful there. They don’t flee and are too easy to step on. Like a living landmine. If bitten tissue distruction from their venom is severe.
I’d prefer relocating any other snake you don’t want around but if you chose to dispatch a cottonmouth I’d understand.
They are dangerous.
i agree with what lt. mike has said . i do not dispatch any beneficial snakes , i understand the difference, but i will never put the safety of snakes ahead of people ..........coppersmythe.................................PS: but , DO YOUR HOMEWORK ! all snakes are not created equall......................................i have given "quarter " to cottonmouths in the atchafalaya basin ..........................i'm a guest.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm

I was not pleased to find this genuine red-after-yellow coral snake IN THE STALL *WITH* my little unicorn a couple years back.

5FDECAEA-8024-40DC-8D1C-544865C9156E.jpeg
Coral snake photo

DDBED1C7-CE25-43FC-A4FC-47F193BDFDDC.jpeg
Unicorn

Indra was fine. She was about 3 at the time.
Her sister would have pounded the snake to dust. Indra, however, probably would have kept it as a pet.
(She keeps her horn tucked safely under her pillow when not in use.)

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:40 pm

I mowed a copperhead the other day, the push mower won the contest. coulda had snake burger for lunch that day
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

John P
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L9T2J1

Postby John P » Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pm

The only venomous snake's here in Ontario left are the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake and they are only found in some parts of Ontario.The area were i live here was a hot bed for rattlesnake's years ago due to being close to the rocky area's of the Niagara Escarpment wich cuts thru this area of Ontario and because of that we have a area not far from here known as "Rattlesnake Point"
A Cub in Size But a Bear for Work!

Circle of Safety

TraumaOne
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A

Postby TraumaOne » Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 pm

John P wrote:The only venomous snake's here in Ontario left are the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake and they are only found in some parts of Ontario.The area were i live here was a hot bed for rattlesnake's years ago due to being close to the rocky area's of the Niagara Escarpment wich cuts thru this area of Ontario and because of that we have a area not far from here known as "Rattlesnake Point"

Same here in Michigan, the Massasauga is our only rattler and they are found but not often. From what I've heard they are a fat lazy snake that will only bite if provoked.

Return to “Off Topic”