This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

being retired

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

being retired

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:25 am

Last year I retired after working for the local phone compny for 26 years, 23 of which were spent working as a C.O. (central office, or swithing office) technician. As a C.O. man half or two thirds of your life are spent doing P.M.P.s (preventive maintenance procedure), also commonly called routines. After doing this for 23+ years it has becme a very ingrained habit, to the point I till tend to want to do routines, but what do you do of that nature when you are retired. I finally have solved the problem of how to handle that habit. Every day about 12:30 I spend 45 minutes to an hour inspecting the inside of my eyelids for leaks. :wink:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:47 am

Well, that's a start John. I have finally gotten to the point that I can sleep until about 7:30 a.m. instead of getting up at 5:30 or 6:00. I have yet to master taking a nap in the daylight hours but I also have problems staying up past 11 p.m. :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:03 pm

It feels great, doesn't it John. I take a quick "Power Nap" and then I'm ready for round two. I've even fallen asleep on the porch swing holding a glass of pop, until it tipped onto my lap :shock: . I don't do that anymore. Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Nap time is 12:30 PM until 2:00 PM. It's taken a bit of an effort and stamina, but I have managed to slowly extend naps from 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. My wife has noticed an improvement in appearance and demenor. Yup the less she has to see me the better I appear and the better her demeanor.

Eugene

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:54 pm

Yup I'm on my 10th year of retirement and have no problem naping from 12:30 till 2:30 then watch a couple TV shows and eat supper do some computer things till 9:00 then bedtime at 10:30 after the news get up around 7:00 maybe chase tractor's or parts untill 12:00 noon.
Jim Turner

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:14 pm

Since I am a mere 31, I have many years to retirement. So I follow my father's advice who like Sir Puckett was a Telephone Pioneer), which is "take a little bit of your retirement every day, cause you might not get one". So, I try to sleep or generally screw off at work whenever possible.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:32 pm

i am only 16 so i have an even longer time than carm.
Image On To Bigger Things

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:56 pm

John
My big ole dog (162 lb Newfie) and I take naps about everyday, usually while watching old westerns on TV. Sometimes it wears us out so much that when we wake up we have to take another one :)): . That's not preventive maintenance, we just like naps. :lol:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:05 pm

You guys make me feel good. I am only retired 20 years, but my dad was 41 and I hope to show him how it is done.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:09 pm

Carm wrote:Since I am a mere 31, I have many years to retirement. So I follow my father's advice who like Sir Puckett was a Telephone Pioneer), which is "take a little bit of your retirement every day, cause you might not get one". So, I try to sleep or generally screw off at work whenever possible.
We had a guy at work that was RIP too (retired in place), but most of our guys hit it pretty hard all day long.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:29 am

I was 52 the FIRST time I retired. Not being a golfer and lovin' old tractors and junk I puttered around alot for the first year. It was FUN, but something was still missing in my life. I couldn't break the habit of gittin' up early (generally 4 a.m.) each day...and naturally "crashin" at about 10 p.m. each night. Carol Elizabeth & I shopped at all the antique stores we could find and collected till we ran outta room for stuff!

I really do ENJOY working again :D (that may seem hard for some to grasp). The sense of havin' a place to go to each day to do something that I love to do, and have the inter-action with people gives me something NEW to look forward to. The MONEY also helps too!

I guess for you younger guys who have many years to go before that treasured retirement time I would tell you to PLAN...PLAN & then PLAN somemore! Don't count on your company retirement plan...it may go away after you need it! :cry: Stay as HEALTHY as you possibly can...All your money won't buy you BETTER HEALTH! :wink: Live EVERY DAY like it's your last (cause someday it WILL BE) :shock: . PLAN YOUR VACATIONS with the people you LOVE and TAKE THEM...AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. WORK HARD...PLAY HARDER! :wink:

Remember...you can walk through EVERY cemetary you can find and you will never see a headstone that reads: "I SHOULD HAVE SPENT MORE TIME AT THE OFFICE"!
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:19 am

Retirement, my most favorite subject (other than Cubs). As I have stated in previous post, “everyone getting up in the morning when they want, going to bed when they want, doing what you please is heaven on earth”. I’ve been planning for retirement since my first day I entered the work force!!! Someday (hopefully) I’ll get the piece of the action, but with three of my children going to College in the near feature I don’t think retirement and College tuition will go together.
In my work place we have retirement people working part time doing odds and ends. Sometimes I get a chance to eat lunch with them and I ask them the question “what are you doing here”? Some say “they were tired of setting around and doing nothing” and some say “they need the money for insurance cost”.

Country said
Remember...you can walk through EVERY cemetery you can find and you will never see a headstone that reads: "I SHOULD HAVE SPENT MORE TIME AT THE OFFICE"!

Country I can’t agree with you more. Most likely what you will see in todays environment (when you walk through every cemetery) is, “I spent most of my time at the office and that’s why I’m here”.

After looking at the pictures of the Cubarama and the Cub Feast at Cubarama and seeing how happy and content everyone looked you can’t believe the envy I have. :roll:

P.S. Cub-Bud ,someday I’m going to help you catch some of those fish for the fish fry :{_}: and John, someday I’m going set beside you with my eyes closed with a smile on my face :) …… someday……

Jack Fowler

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 am

Jack,

We will save a spot for you next year at The Cub-Arama. :wink:

I think the feast will consist of hamburgers and hotdogs next year. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:32 am

Retirement is a state of mind, more than a physical fact. Some of us were priviliged to retire early. In my case it was at age 38. It has nothing to do with activity or income, but is more an attitude. I retired when I saw my fine 7 year old home and all my earthly posessions go up in smoke on a cold January day and realized that that was what I was working for. My family was unharmed and I realized what was really important.

So... I retired then and there. From then on, I vowed to do NOTHING I didn't want to do. Everything I WANTED to do I did as well as I could and was successful.

I hope I can inspire more young people to retire.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:45 am

I never had a job so cannot retire. Built a 2700 sq. foot shop when Dad and I stopped farming. Been working on cars, trucks and tractors full time 45 years. When you work for the other guy you are selling your time wholesale and he is selling it at retail.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Off Topic”