This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Truck

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:25 pm

George and Larry:

Well you are both right.

I think we should be able to come up with the documentation. It was mentioned on at least one work-order for sure back in early March. Em said she smelled exhaust inside coming from the engine compartment.. they said they didn't find anything... course said today the only way to have seen it was if they had taken the assembly apart to look at the manifold.

Guess what :?: That is exactly what I told them they should have done.

Then he said to me - yeah, but the manifold isn't covered under the warranty. I think that is incorrect or should be...

Anyways, Em and I will not let this go I think. We have brought them many new customers over the last 15 years and they know it. If they want us to keep bringing customers -- including my 5 kids who are all of the age and soon to be in pocket for newer vehicles, they best get their act together.

If need be I shall call Chrysler head office -- no big deal.. just a major pain in the derriere...

have a little story about my JD dealer I should tell one of these days....

Thanks guys, I will start dealing with it in the morning..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Rudi, There must be school for dealers to learn how to beat customers out of there warranties. Me and many I've known have been in your shoes trying to deal with a dealer on warranty issues. They put you off till you really are over the milage then say you are no longer covered. Its a scam I tell you. Especially if you come in close to the end of term.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:31 pm

Rudi: My son has been service manager for GM dealerships on a couple of occasions. In that capacity, he had the right to approve warranty work even though the warranty period had ended. He could not do it often and it needed to be an unusual case, but he did authorize such work from time to time. I would believe that your dealer has the right to do this, and certainly should do it since you reported the problem a couple of times before expiration of the warranty. Good luck on you attempts to make them do the right thing and let us know the result. Dan

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:19 am

Rudi,

I know what auto Dealers do and this is a normal “blow it out the door” instance.
Insurance companies back the extended warranties and they give a set time the repair has to be completed. When a vehicle gets older things just don’t come apart like when they were new…as we all know. The repair shop can call the extended warranty company and tell them they are having trouble with the repair or they see some other repair (that needs to be done) and they need extra time, but in most cases the claim is denied. The repair shops in most cases don’t like extended warranty because they (in most cases) lose money. This is also the case for the factory warranty. The shop is dictated by the factory, how much time it will take to do the job. The Technician (Mechanic) doing the job has to perform it at that time or his job is in jeopardy. I just did an engine in a Chevy Uplander mini van and it took me 12.5 hours. This was a complete assembly, I only change the injectors, intake manifold ECT. The book time (flat rate) was 8.2 hours. This was second one I did and the boss is turning his back mostly because it’s a new design vehicle and it’s hard to work on.
Repair shops like customer pay jobs, because there is another manual they go by. It’s called the (ironically) “the customer pay manual”. It’s time(s) is(are) reviewed by auditors at independent repair shops and is more in line what labor it take to do a repair the correct way.
My suggestion is stay away from extended warranties and pay for the repair at a good repair shop when the issue comes about.
When shopping for new or used vehicles don’t buy the new model that is just coming out, buy a vehicle that has been proven out. When buying used, buy a vehicle that has a good “track” record. Purchase from someone that you feel is trust worthy either from an individual seller or a dealer. I know car sellers and honesty sometimes don’t go together, but all you can do is the best you can.
I know with the technology built into the vehicles today when things go wrong it’s very costly when you pay out of your pocket. I feel if you have a good repair shop you’ll come out ahead without the extended warranty.
I will give you three cases that happen to my family on Ford vehicles. I’m not “knocking” Ford vehicles just the people that stand behind their products.
My dad owns two Fords (03 Ranger and a 03 Taurus) and I own the third (99 F-150). The Ranger and the Taurus was bought new and the F150 was bought used.
My father had an issue with the Ranger and the Taurus with a surge and a battery issue with the Taurus. He took the vehicle to his local dealer under the factory warranty and nothing was found. The surge got so bad in the Taurus he went back to the dealer and demanded they do something or buy the car back. All he got was a laugh and they said he needed a transmission flush, which would cost him $125.00 and they could not guarantee it would solve the problem.
My dad in complete discuss called me and filled me in on all the issues. The business I work at just merged with Ford, so I talked with some Ford technicians. We found through service bulletins that both vehicles needed power train reflash updates. My dad lives 4 hours away from me, so I called the Ford dealer close to him and told the service manager what I found and he said unless the “check engine light was on it would have to be a customer pay issue”. Of course words were exchanged and nothing was solved. My dad drove the vehicles to my house and I took them to work and reflashed the Engine Control Module on both vehicles and the surge issue was solved.
My dad left the Taurus at my house while taking his Ranger back home. My wife used it to do some shopping and the car would not start after shopping. The battery was “dead” so she took it to the closest Ford dealer because the car had a factory “bumper to bumper” warranty on it. The dealer could not find anything wrong and gave her the car back with the engine running and she stopped at another store and when returning to the car the battery was dead. She called the Ford dealer back and they said it was not their problem it was the customers “misuse”. After work my wife filled me in, I went back to the Ford dealer and they were closed, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a battery and solved the problem. I never had the time to go back to the Ford dealer to address the issue.
The F-150 has a slight metal fatigue problem on the driver’s door by the window. I noticed in the F-150 web site this was a weakness for that truck and Ford was addressing it. I took it to the Ford dealer and they said being the second owner it was not covered under the factory warranty.
My conclusion of my issues are, I will not buy Fords anymore. I have nothing against the Ranger, Taurus and the F-150; they run good so far dependable and nice vehicles to drive. I just don’t have faith in the people who sell and manage the product. This issue is not said and done. I’m scheduled for Ford training at their headquarters in the near future and I will voice my grievance to someone if they will listen.
I always tell people who take their vehicle in for warranty repair; be sure to get the repair order after the vehicle is repaired. The repair order should list the “3c’s”; the complaint, the cause of the complaint and the correction of the complaint. If you find a good honest repair shop, stay with it...

P.S. Oh and take it easy on the person who's working on the vehicle,its not the easiest thing to do anymore.

Jack Fowler
Last edited by Jack fowler on Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:46 pm

Most of this discussion serves to undeline a statement I have made many times, 'Find a delaer with a service shop you can depend on and stick with them". I have had just the opposite experience with fords that Jack has. the local delaer has been great to work with, inlcudng getting ford to cover an out of warranty fuel pump on a van I used to have. Factory warranties are good no matter who owns the vehicle, I believe that is a federal law in the U.S. Extended warranties are only good for original purchaser of the warranty, but usually can be transferred for a fee of $15 or $25. and has been stated, keep your copy of the paperwork a dealer gives you when they check a warranty problem, especally if they don't find anything wrong. that gives you a recourse if the problem is found after the warranty expires.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:30 am

I believe that is a federal law in the U.S. Extended warranties are only good for original purchaser of the warranty, but usually can be transferred for a fee of $15 or $25.

John, I didn’t mention the F-150 was purchase just after the bumper to bumper warranty ran out. I noticed the body problem when the truck was 21/2 years old and it had 42,000 miles on it. Ford would not cover it because it was out of the mileage warranty. At that time to my knowledge Ford did not have an extended body warranty.

Since then the little crack by the driver’s window has not gotten any larger. If that’s all that is going to happen to my truck I will be very happy.

If anyone wants to contact Ford, follow this link:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/contact/

Return to “Off Topic”