This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TIL (Things I Learned)

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

TIL (Things I Learned)

Postby Dennis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions#Transportation

Automotive batteries stored on a concrete floor do not discharge any faster than they would on other surfaces,in spite of worry among Americans that concrete harms batteries. Early batteries might have been susceptible to moisture from floors due to leaky, porous cases, but for many years lead–acid car batteries have had impermeable polypropylene cases,and are maintenance-free, so they do not leak battery acid.

I must have missed this one when my mother was telling me not go swimming after eating...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: TILT (Things I Learned today)

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:33 pm

I never quite believed that a battery discharged quicker on concrete, even back when they had hard rubber cases. I try to put batteries on a piece of wood, not to protect the battery but to protect the concrete from acid that may be on the outside of the battery.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: TILT (Things I Learned today)

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:10 pm

I still put my extra batteries on a board if I put them on the floor, but not because I am worried about discharge. I think it is more out of habit.

By the way, that thing about not swimming after eating is another wives tale from what I have read.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”