This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

BLACK DIRT

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

BLACK DIRT

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:36 pm

never thought i would here myself say this. i miss the good black dirt of northern iowa. growing up on the family farm, getting (having) to work in the dirt always took it for granted.

Now living here in central eastern illinois, where there is no black dirt apparently, (at least on my 25 acres), i miss the dirt of home. i am actually goping to have to buy black dirt for a flower bed going in next to the garage. man, i never woulda thunk it.

theres another thing to grateful, black dirt.

john

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:54 pm

I live in Staten Island part of NYC. When Bev and I first bought the house it had a lot of vacent land about it. I had a 22 set in the corner of the kitchen and if a phesant head showed up during breakfast it was free chicken for supper. Way back there was a ditch to drain the swamp for moscito control. The other side of that a guy ran sheep. We too many wheel barrows of that piled up muck and made a garden. As houses wer built behind us we had to reduce the garden to our own property. It is now 30 by 50. I still dig in 80 to 100 bags of leaves in to the garden each year. It has changed the red clay of Staten Island to goo black loam. Thank the lord that we bought the 40 acres in the country. We had a 70 by 100 foot garden there. I screwed that up by building a 28 by 28 garage. I put a number of loads of wood chips (complements of the town) and many- poads of sheep and horse manua complements of a neighbor to help straighten out the rocky soil in our present garden. I have to turn it in to get a weed free seed bed similar to that shown by ralph recently.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Where I grew up in Northern Ontario... black dirt/earth was normal. Here, even though the land is good and rich, there is very little of what we called black muck except maybe in a spruce bog... hey, that's where the stuff came from originally :!: :idea: :arrow: :shock: :D

We have to add peat moss and other nutrients to balance the ph etc. for our flower gardens, but for the garden nothing beats chicken or pig manure. Unfortunately, Em will not allow my using my (yet to come home #100 spreader) for fertilizing operations. The mill next door does provide plenty of sawdust and the maples and alders provide the other leaves etc., for working in, so I really don't need much for my garden.

But, I sure miss the feel and the smell of good old black muck, sure made a garden grow :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”