This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Image Server Test Comments & Feedback

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:54 pm

- The width should be limited to something that keeps threads from going into a horizontal scroll on most displays, I think about 800 would do it.

- I'd would not do the automatic resize. People need to learn to resize before uploading and not waste the bandwidth.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:01 pm

I agree that the file size should not be limited. This way it may encourage users to make the best use of the space provided.
8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:43 pm

Lil'dog:

John, I have to agree with most of the sentiments expressed. I did have some concerns but before I voiced them I decided to do a little more experimenting.

I was deciding on files to upload. I did not realize it, especially once I had glanced quickly at the file size, but I have a number of bmp's that Country sent me -- all around 600kb to 800kb. I found that I could actually resize them down almost 20%. Still exceeds the current upload file size of 512kb. I still think that it is a correct assumption/decision to deny bmp's to be uploaded as they are space hogs. There are other formats better suited to this use. I sure hope Tiff's are not allowed as well :shock: :D

However, I decided to try and see what a manual resized would look like. No, I do not think that this is viable, but there were a number of pics, and I wanted to try... so I did the Create/Upload thingy -- browsed my harddrive, found the files I wanted and selected them... one at a time until I had the 5 requisite files, then clicked continue. Upload failed, file size exceeded. None of the individual files exceeded 102kb's in size, yet the upload failed. Not sure why. The parameters dictated that each file could not exceed 512kb's...

I am figuring that the 5 files total exceeded 512kb's and that is what caused the failure.

This was borne out when I went back to the drawing board, resized in WinXP Powertoys Image Resizer to fit 640x480.. these files then did not exceed 31.2kb's. These files uploaded successfully using exactly the same procedures and the same file names with the exception of the (Small) automatically inserted by the Resizer..

So, I contiuned to upload all 16 pages of the manual to the image server in reverse order. When viewed, the default last to earliest parameter is met and the images are viewed in actual page number order...

I think that if this is mentioned in the How To, then the default setting can remain without change, and each individual member can make his or her choice/preference.

The next thing I did was try the URI/URL upload. I created another album and uploaded the Gas Cap jpeg from the Cub Manual Server to the Image Server. Works well.

Also, it clicked what the other dialogue boxes are for.... so I stuck in a comment line and included the active phpBBS string for an active link to the Cub Manual Server and created an email link as well.

Now to get people to try it out and see what their comments are.

I still do have some concerns.

1. We have to keep in mind no matter what is decided that a great many, maybe even the majority of our members are on dial-up service. Even though they may have a 56kbps modem, FCC, and CRTC requirements limit the actual max speed to 52kbps under ideal circumstances, which we all know are very seldom met.

Most 56kbps modem clients usually average between 38kbps and 42kbps downloads with significantly slower upload speeds say in the order of 24kbps to 30 kbps at peak efficiency and light traffic.

So, the size of the image files IS CREITCAL if we are not to do a dis-service to our dial-up users.

2. We will have to have a How To and have it in both the How To Forum on Farmallcub.com as well as the Image Server. It will have to contain instructions/help or as I am fond of saying SOP's for resizing images and a reminder to keep the images to a small size, yet still useable.

This will allow longer resident times for the pics on the Image Server as more files will be able to reside and stay withing the 5meg threshold. eg., 50kb files will equate to 99 pics approx on the server, and account for extraneous bytes.

Hope this is useful..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Postby lildog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:10 pm

Rudi wrote:I still think that it is a correct assumption/decision to deny bmp's to be uploaded as they are space hogs. There are other formats better suited to this use. I sure hope Tiff's are not allowed as well :shock: :D

The board software only supports images in JPG, GIF or PNG formats. I could install some mods to allow other formats, but see absolutely no reason to. It does also support most movie formats (though disk quota and upload limits are pretty much prohibitive for this purpose).

Upload failed, file size exceeded. None of the individual files exceeded 102kb's in size, yet the upload failed. Not sure why. The parameters dictated that each file could not exceed 512kb's...I am figuring that the 5 files total exceeded 512kb's and that is what caused the failure.

Was the error specifically that the file size was exceeded or that the pixel size had been exceeded? I'm experimenting with a lower pixel limit (currently 1157). That is most likely why your uploads failed. The 512k upload limit is a per-file limit, not per-session. So, as long as your files were in an accepted format, less than 512k each, the only reason they should have failed is that they were larger than 1157 pixels wide or tall.

So, the size of the image files IS CREITCAL if we are not to do a dis-service to our dial-up users.

That's where the real beauty of this board lies. When you upload a file, even a huge file, the board software creates a thumbnail and an "intermediate" image. The intermediate images are limited to 400 pixels on the longest edge (a setting we can adjust). It is this intermediate images that is displayed when you click a thumbnail. Only when they click an intermediate, is the original file downloaded. So dial up users would be well-advised to stick to the intermediates.

2. We will have to have a How To and have it in both the How To Forum on Farmallcub.com as well as the Image Server. It will have to contain instructions/help or as I am fond of saying SOP's for resizing images and a reminder to keep the images to a small size, yet still useable.

I couldn't agree more. I have figured out how to edit the FAQ page, so we could add an entry "How do I resize images?" and the answer could link to the appropriate how to section.

Hope this is useful..

Any and all feedback is useful.
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:46 pm

Rudi wrote:
We will have to have a How To and have it in both the How To Forum on Farmallcub.com as well as the Image Server. It will have to contain instructions/help or as I am fond of saying SOP's for resizing images and a reminder to keep the images to a small size, yet still useable.

This has been covered many times. Yo's Dad wrote a great piece about re-sizing and posting pictures. (Which I can't seem to find). You yourself wrote a fine piece in the "How To Do Neat Things In A Post" thread. The same How To's could be posted to the Image Server. These things are already available to the board users.

As the folks in Maine would say "You can lead a lobster to the lobster trap but you can't make him eat the fish head."

I feel that allotted space is just that. If a user wants to put one large file up in place of many small files that should be their decision. Someone using dial-up will get the message very quickly when they click on the intermediate picture and then will try to stay away from those albums.
8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:57 pm

I found the thread by Yo's Dad. This should be a sticky post or placed in the "How To" forum:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2316&highlight=

Interesting posts follow the thread :lol: :lol:
8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:04 pm

Donny:

Your comments motivated me to find the thread. I reread the post, and felt that it really no longer belonged nor was useful in that particular forum and it truly deserved to have a place reserved for it.

So it now has a new home. I guess I did that whilst you were posting your last reponse. :oops: :roll: :oops:

Tom's great tutorial now resides where it always should have in the How To Forum.

It is also a sticky and will remain at the top of the forum.

Here is it's new residence : Picture Tutorial by Yo's Dad (A MUST read!) :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:07 pm

That's really funny Rudi, I just posted that piece to the How To forum and when it posted I noticed a new sticky. You're just too fast!!!! I deleted my post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:16 am

Jim Becker wrote:It would definitely be nice to be able to stick an image straight into a post. Like this:

Does this need to be my new avatar?

Jim, Yes on both counts
Pat

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Question.

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:22 am

lildog wrote:Do we like the display of random and recently added pics on the homepage or not. I tend to think it makes it a bit crowded, but I'm anal about that kind of thing. I can turneither or both off. Let me have your opinions of them. thanks.

Random is very good, I'm not sure if I will spend time judging photos and giving stars, if others feel like that there will not be many to display.
PS LD Ignore my question in PM about posting pics, I wrote it before reading this post,
Thanks again for your work.
Pat

lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Postby lildog » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:59 pm

I'm guessing from the sudden lull in this thread that either all of my testers have their feet wet or have had to back to their real lives. So, I'm moving on to the next phase. I've selected three few individuals to be board admins. I'll be giving them a day or two to get familiar with those functions, then we'll open the board up to the "public" (just in time for those Cub-A-Rama) pics.

I'll also be working on a couple of tutorials for uploading pictures and using them in this forum. Should have those up by the weekend.
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Postby 1541 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:20 pm

Lildog,

Your Photo Gallery How-To will be a great tool. Nothing like step by step instructions along with pictures.

Doug

Return to “Off Topic”