This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer hitch

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Trailer hitch

Postby beaconlight » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:44 pm

I bought a Reese Hitch for my 2003 Dodge 1500 Long bed. I found a plug in the rear that looks as if it is to plug the light plug in to. I bought one with a 4 prong receptical as well as a 6 prong. From things I have been reading for the trailer lights I should add an extra lead with juice through a relay as well as adding a brake controller and extra wire for it also. There was some discussion in some of the posts about burning out the headlight switch with the extra marker lights. On my old 79 chevy I just cut in to every thing and ran it to the plug. I towed some hellacious loads with out trailer brakes but don't want to do that any more. Beginning to wonder if I should have gotten a 7 pin to add a 12 14 gauge all hot as well.
I need all the words of wisdom I can get on this before I go any further. What really bust my back on this is that when I first bought the truck I was going to have one installed but something was not in stock and had to be ordered in. I didn't have the patience 2 years ago.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 pm

Bill, bite the bullet and go with the 7 pin. You won't be sorry.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:05 pm

You could read that in my post eh. I was afraid so. The question remains do i run 3 new 12 or 14 gauge wires front to back and add a relay for the lights and another relay for the always hot to the trailer. One of the postings I read talked about having the trailer bringing down the truck battery and not being able to start. I guess it sounds like a boat with the lights on and the motor off. Main difference is I could park the truck on a hill and with the stick shift get it started rolling down hill.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:12 am

I ran my hot line straight back (fused) to the plug from the terminal box under the hood. No relays. (I like simplicity - it's easier to troubleshoot)
My lights are run through those plug-in cable adaptors. The truck is 10 years old and it has worked fine through a variety of trailers.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:16 am

Bill:

You guys got a heck of a lot more experience at wiring than I do, in fact, I am usually treat electricity of any type gingerly...

However, one thing that I have learned and learned will in the military. Never ever use something that provides just enough. Always double it.. it is called redundancy. Redundancy has saved my bacon many times.

I always use the 7-prong heavy duty connectors. The 2, 3 and 4 wire connectors are basically useful for my JD 111 and stuff like that. Even on my 2000 Grand Caravan -- all 7 prong. All my trailers - 7 prong..

Go for it buddy, leave the light duty stuff for the light weights -- go with the heavy duty... you will not regret it. I haven't
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:35 am

Bill, if you are wanting to charge a camper battery you will need to use an ignition switch operated realy, or one of the solid state battery isolators. If the hot wire is jsut ti charge a break awaya battery, just running it off a 20 or 30 amp fuse is sufficient, as long as you don't leave it parked and connected for weeks at a time. If your new tow vehicle has a seperate wire harness already installed for a trailer, they usually have seperate fuses and relays for the trailer lights. Walmart sells a trailer connector that will connect directly to the connecor that cam on your truck, and has extra leads for the brakes, back up lights, power. You can also buy one that has both the 7 pole round and the 4 pole flat on the smae mounting plate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:09 am

Thanks guys I was trying to not bite the bullet but I now see there is no other way out.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”