This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Zero turn vs lawn tractor for commercial use? Opinions?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Zero turn vs lawn tractor for commercial use? Opinions?

Postby Super A » Fri May 13, 2016 4:52 am

Jackman wrote:Thats a discouraging post and just an opinion :o ,

I started 1992 just weekends for lawns and a full time truck driver job during the week (quit the full time trucker job in 1996 went seasonal) rain or bad weather yeah it happens but its not a tombstone for your weekend business idea , just go for it you will do fine.

. if you work full time as an employee your tax deductions is minimal at best, start your weekend business get an CPA and write off your equipment at tax time , chances are good that you already own a pick up truck and its not a right off for a regular job but it will be for a weekend business, same with the mowers that you already have write them off at tax time, truck gas write it off, mower and trimmer gas write it off and also get a refund on any road fuel tax that you paid at the pump, the tax write offs go on and on,call a CPA get the whole deal and think out your business.

Do the math what do you make at your full time job and what will you set as your goal for the weekend mowings that info alone will be a yay or nay eye opener.

mine looked like this in 1992, 10 dollar an hour truck driver = 400 a week before taxes, my first year weekend lawns 7 customers 30 dollars a cut 210 dollars on a Saturday or basically half of what a full time job paid in less than 6 hours time.

big plus most people like writing their own pay check its a real good feeling :D you might like that part of the weekend work.

I agree with what others have said, it's kinda like my friend who first got into farming--he bought an ancient JD 3300 combine with a 2 row corn head. After 2-3 years he moved up to a 6600 with a 4 row head. Then several years later he got a late model JD 9500 with an 8 row head! The point is, keep expenses low as possible until you are established and making money.

As far as zero turns go, When the time comes, I would consider something like this:

I know a couple landscape guys that run mowers like these and they won't even consider a zero turn. With the deck out front you can get into places and cut that zero turns can't. They save a lot of time and labor on weed eating.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri May 13, 2016 6:21 am

That looks like one of them thar You Till I Tee vehicles :lol: the type that does many things, mow,plow,rotary broom, but nothing really good , check the deck its stamped steel and shallow and just plain wimpy . ZTR is basically the industry standard now just about every lawn and landscape opertion runs ZTR's.

Here's a real mower , 29 hp, a real mower deck (out front too), 12 gallon gas tank and a low center of gravity this unit would run circles around the JD in the pic.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 13, 2016 6:35 am

Eugene wrote:There are a number of internet discussions on starting a lawn care business. Also topics on the profit margin for a typical lawn care business.

Just suggesting that you really need to research the topic before starting a business.
Jackman wrote:Thats a discouraging post and just an opinion :o ,
Super A wrote:call a CPA get the whole deal and think out your business.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 am

Or talk to people on farmallcub that are already in the business :wink: ya can learn a lot from the inner webs :lol:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 am

More research. On line publications from US Gov. Most are free. Paper publications can be ordered.

Publications, USA. Has pamphlets for small business and a business plan.
IRS pamphlets. Tax information for small business and individuals.

Edit. Another on line search. Depreciation and expenses for a zero turn mower operation.
http://www.lawnsite.com/threads/your-ac ... sts.99356/
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri May 13, 2016 10:24 am

Eugene wrote:More research.

Edit. Another on line search. Depreciation and expenses for a zero turn mower operation.
http://www.lawnsite.com/threads/your-ac ... sts.99356/

Lawnsite good site best site imop for lawn and landscape, on Lawnsite my name is Tower Rat 95B if ya go there shoot me a pm :idea:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri May 13, 2016 10:49 am

Jackman wrote:That looks like one of them thar You Till I Tee vehicles :lol: the type that does many things, mow,plow,rotary broom, but nothing really good , check the deck its stamped steel and shallow and just plain wimpy . ZTR is basically the industry standard now just about every lawn and landscape opertion runs ZTR's.

Here's a real mower , 29 hp, a real mower deck (out front too), 12 gallon gas tank and a low center of gravity this unit would run circles around the JD in the pic.

OK here's something more professional grade:

If I were doing the work, I had rather hold a steering wheel. Just personal preference.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri May 13, 2016 10:54 am

Can't see the pic only shows a rear tire too big, but looks industrial like for a school or similar.

I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 13, 2016 12:36 pm

[quote="Jackman" I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:[/quote]I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.

In my area they're a status symbol. Only advantage I see to a ZTR is fast ground speed if you are mowing yards that are flat and perfectly square. Folks I have talked to that are in the biz say an efficient operator can make a rear engine mower like I was talking about or even a regular tractor cover just about as much ground, maybe more under the right conditions. Around here you see a lot of cowboys running ZTRs faster than the yard conditions can stand. Then you end up with torn up yards where they pivot on every turn or even better having to spend 30 minutes to an hour trying to get out of the ditch.

I prefer a steering wheel because I can run it with one hand.

Back to the original question: Stick with what's paid for, upgrade later.

Al

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:[quote="Jackman" I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:
I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.[/quote]

Depends what kinda ztr you have, like I said the word "Commercial" gets tossed around a bit as a selling point in the end many "Commercial" ztr's are home owner junk, Husky, CC and Toro are at the top of the junk heap , what do you run? I have three Exmarks there good mowers I like them cut 50 lawns a week for years

Return to “Off Topic”