This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Duramax DEF question

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Duramax DEF question

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:54 am

Motorhome would be fine since it gets the same milage and would safe on motel rooms, but we don't want to have to pull into and leave a campsite everyday.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Drive the Cub. It's only about three miles. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Your welcome at truckstops believe me everyone parks there. If anyone questions you parking tell them R.H.F. said it was ok. :shock:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:Your welcome at truckstops believe me everyone parks there. If anyone questions you parking tell them R.H.F. said it was ok. :shock:

We do that when we travel. The campground is only 5 miles from DSCF, I just don't want to drive the MH each way everyday. Therefore the motel works well for us. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Have you tried a dedicated Duramax diesel or Chevy truck forum? There are folks out there with seriously deep knowledge of almost everything, just like some of the folks here on FarmallCub.com!!
Trent McPeak

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Trent M wrote:Have you tried a dedicated Duramax diesel or Chevy truck forum? There are folks out there with seriously deep knowledge of almost everything, just like some of the folks here on FarmallCub.com!!

Trent, after talking to the service rep at GM (not the dealer) I am very confident the truck will be fine. Since I found out we had a heater problem I have driven over 1,000 miles. If the DEF was not getting to the exhaust by now, it would have shut me down or at least the speed reduction would have kicked in. As it appears, the heater would not come into play unless we encounter temps below 12 degrees along the way and as long as we don't get those temps the DEF will flow.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:54 pm

If it gets below 12 degrees here, I'm going to Cuba. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:22 pm

Don McCombs wrote:If it gets below 12 degrees here, I'm going to Cuba. :D

I got it figured this way, according to the manual, the speed reduction does not activate until 1,000 miles after the sensors say there is no fluid. So if it is zero here, the warning will tell me I have 1,000 miles before I have a top speed of 65 mph. By time I get to Alabama (400 miles) the fluid would be thawed enough to flow. Therefore the sensors would then reset.

Circle of Safety

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:03 am

Barnyard wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:
Steve Butram wrote:I have been immersed in the Exhaust regeneration systems since 2013. . . .

!!!

And he can't get out!

I got very educated in Diesel Exhaust, Particulate and DEF systems When the EPA decided that all Fire Apparatus built after 2010 were to be fitted with Particulate regeneration systems. My experiences have varied. I No longer have to upgrade the apparatus with NO SMOKE particulate Filters. The issue I have been dealing with lately is someone introduced DEF to the Diesel tank, 5 gallons the best we can tell. The truck started showing a water alarm in the fuel system. We kept samples of the liquid drained out and figured out it was DEF that was mixed with the Diesel. The fuel tank had to be drained and cleaned out.That could possible be a $30,000 mistake. And as you would expect no on knows how it got in the diesel fuel.

Another issue is the operators have a Regen inhibit switch available on the dash.They have been successful in defeating it enough times to have to take the truck to the Dealer to force a Regen cycle.

"I should have wrote Educated"
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 am

Steve don't that regeneration inhibit switch also have a start regeneration mode. First instruction we were given was if you inhibit regeneration you MUST start a cycle as soon as clear to do so. If you didn't and a dealer forced reGen was required you and Director of Fleet maintenance have a talk about how you want to pay the bill.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:59 am

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:Steve don't that regeneration inhibit switch also have a start regeneration mode. First instruction we were given was if you inhibit regeneration you MUST start a cycle as soon as clear to do so. If you didn't and a dealer forced reGen was required you and Director of Fleet maintenance have a talk about how you want to pay the bill.

there is a Regen initiation switch on the lower dash next to the inhibit switch. Fire apparatus are allowed to have a Regen inhibit to delay the Regen cycle in case the vehicle is not in an optimal conditions. Such as working a wild land fire where the High exhaust temps could have the possibility for starting an fire near the exhaust system. My operators use it to prolong the Regen so the next shift can do it. While the truck is in Regen inhibit mode it will not derate and the Regen light will reset until the truck is key cycled of and back on.I know that when the inhibit has activated 4 times a forced Regen will be required.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Worst case scenario, there are GM dealers every little ways between where you are and where you're headed. Heck one of 'em might even have the heater in stock and could install it for you while you wait!

I've only been a "diesel dreamer" not having enough reason to justify owning one, but I have studied the technology and read all the discussion forum threads. I sincerely doubt the truck will go into limp mode as long as it can get DEF when it needs to run a regen. Even then you have a grace period before it starts to really get cranky with the limp mode.

The truck doesn't run the heater when the engine isn't running, that would run the batteries down, so the DEF will freeze if it gets cold enough. The truck won't run a regen on a cold engine either, as I understand it. So by the time the engine's warmed up and (maybe) ready to start the regen, the DEF should be thawing from warmth in the engine bay. For sure the DEF will be thawed long before limp mode shuts you down to 5MPH.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Steve Butram wrote:
Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:Steve don't that regeneration inhibit switch also have a start regeneration mode. First instruction we were given was if you inhibit regeneration you MUST start a cycle as soon as clear to do so. If you didn't and a dealer forced reGen was required you and Director of Fleet maintenance have a talk about how you want to pay the bill.

there is a Regen initiation switch on the lower dash next to the inhibit switch. Fire apparatus are allowed to have a Regen inhibit to delay the Regen cycle in case the vehicle is not in an optimal conditions. Such as working a wild land fire where the High exhaust temps could have the possibility for starting an fire near the exhaust system. My operators use it to prolong the Regen so the next shift can do it. While the truck is in Regen inhibit mode it will not derate and the Regen light will reset until the truck is key cycled of and back on.I know that when the inhibit has activated 4 times a forced Regen will be required.

Hmmm. Finger pointing between the shifts? Maybe you need a gadget attached to the switch that records a time stamp every time somebody hits the switch. I don't suppose the control module already does it?

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Steve Butram wrote:

Hmmm. Finger pointing between the shifts? Maybe you need a gadget attached to the switch that records a time stamp every time somebody hits the switch. I don't suppose the control module already does it?

There is Cummins Software that tracks that. But in the interest my own sanity I will not plug it in.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:47 pm

It's already on the ecm. They can print out down to time lights were turned on ,wipers activated ,brake application. Had dealer in Ohio show me hours I had used engine,"jake"brake since truck was built.