This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

It's good having a mechanic you trust!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

It's good having a mechanic you trust!

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Moved the motor home yesterday to get ready for the Tug, when I walked behind it I saw a trail of oil leading toward the barn and a two foot diameter wet spot at the end of the trail. I crawled underneath and found a hole in the fuel line. This line runs up to the engine and disappears. The other end runs toward the tank and it too disappears. This is at least a ten foot, three piece line that is a metal tube on both ends and a piece of braided hose about a foot long attached by connections I could not figure out.
It was time to get my mechanic on the phone. I know he is busy this week and there is no room on his lot for this monster, but I thought he could give me some advice. Frank said not to do anything and he would swing by on his way home. After looking it over he said it was a return line and a pain in the rear to replace, not to mention very costly. He said he would stop by again this evening after work and see what he could do. He also wrote down the part number from the tag that was attached to the line.
He got here about six and said the line is available from the dealer for about $600.00. That’s not a typo, it was six US Grants. Then he pointed to the box in his hand and said that would do it for a lot less. The box had some hose and various types of fittings not familiar to me. I left him alone so he could work and checked my watch to see what this was gonna set me back. About half an hour later he came to the shop and asked for the key so he could check for leaks. I fired it up and he looked underneath and said “You’re good to go.” I thought he was joking.
He said he had run into this once before and had found some quick connect fittings to make that repair. He rounded up what he needed this morning and fitted it all together in his shop before stopping over. He said if this had happened on the road (let’s not think about that) it would have been at least $300.00for the tow bill and the installer probably would have installed that $600.00 hose. As it stands I owe him about three hours labor and probably under $100.00 for the parts.
Frank has been working on all my cars/trucks/campers for almost 20 years. I started going to his garage when the previous owner had it and Frank was a young guy who worked for him. Mick (the PO) was always forthright with his customers and I never once questioned what he told me. If my brakes were good he told me and didn’t try to sell me something I didn’t need. If he screwed up he admitted it and did the rework out of his pocket. When Mick got sick and decided to sell the business Frank was going to move on and I was afraid I’d have to start all over with another shop. Fortunately, Mick saw the value in Frank and convinced him to take over the business.
It pays to stick with the same guy for all your needs. These guys know your machine and its history. I don’t like going here for a tune up and there for brakes, and another for oil changes. If I can do it myself I will, but these computerized cars baffle me so I go to a one stop place I trust. I really think you are money ahead.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: It's good having a mechanic you trust!

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Bill, I know what you mean. For years I went to an independent mechanic who was the same way. Once, he had taken a national test and aced it. He got so busy and didn't like having to oversee employees that he sold his shop. The next place I went was a two man shop that was also very honest and reasonable. When we had the floods in 2013, his whole shop had 4-5 feet of water in it and at his age, he decided it was easier to retire than spend a fortune on new equipment and then have to pay off what the insurance didn't cover.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Barnyard- How did you get a trail of oil coming out of a fuel line. Is this a diesel? You said it, I am just asking. Ha Ha, See people do pay attention to what you say. Glad you got it fix at a fair price. Bob

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:02 am

Good trustworthy mechanics - priceless. I have two that I use when needed and have used for years.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 am

muleboss wrote:How did you get a trail of oil coming out of a fuel line. Is this a diesel?

Yes it is a diesel. When I first saw it I thought it was oil or trans fluid. The leak was right under the trans and looked as if it was coming from there. After Frank looked at it he confirmed it was fuel not oil.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 am

Ben Franklin is on the US C-Note. U.S. Grant is on the $50.

I had a 1994 Eagle Vision ( Dodge Intrepid/Chrysler Concord) with expensive trans cooler lines that failed. Home-made fix saved big bucks there too.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:57 am

Bus Driver wrote:Ben Franklin is on the US C-Note. U.S. Grant is on the $50.

Yes, I guess I need to brush up on my proof reading, as well as my US currency! :lol:

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:42 pm

HAVING BEEN A PARTSMAN ALL MY LIFE...iT IS HARD TO FIND MECHANICS THAT YOU CAN TRUST.....I am lucky to know quite a few.....Good ones are far and few......Kevin. :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Send me you US currency. I will take care of it for you.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:13 pm

I just went down and paid the bill. $235.00. Had the break been in the middle of the line I could have patched it. Since it was right at the compressed fitting I was lost. Still cheaper than buying thay whole line.

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 am

Ok ...line was 600.00 then labor....yea...you got off cheep...motorhomes labor rates are higher than regular shop time also...We are the cheapest in the area here..$79.50 an hour......Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

rjf7r
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rjf7r » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 am

I need a good mechanic for my 1955 Cub. I'm in the Vernon, NJ-Warwick, NY area. Any recommendations?

(I hope it is OK for me to post this request here.)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:07 am

If you have a few hand tools you can probably do most work yourself with the help of the forum. Service manual parts manual are at top of page. Also check out the members map and there might be someone close to you that might be willing to help you.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:25 am

There's no problem with posting it here but you won't get many replies in the Off Topic forum. You are way better off posting in the Cub Forum as Mike stated.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”