This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

driving on I-270

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

driving on I-270

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 am

It is unusual the way some memories you have not thought of in years come back unexpectedly. About 20 years ago my Dad was in the hospital in St. Louis and I went up to see him while I had a day off. My Ranger was in the shop with a broken transmission cover, so I drove Old Blue, which was a 1970 4wd 3/4 ton heavy duty. 350, 4spd, 411 differentials, etc.,old farm truck. At that time it was 25+ years old, and looked like ugly warmed over, dents, rust, cow manure, etc. I was coming home on I-270, which circles St. Louis, and back then traffic on weekends and holidays was fairly light on those days, unlike now. The truck being fairly old, and with the 411 differentials and no overdrive the engine turned up quite a few rpm to run at highway speeds, so I was just loafing along about 55 which was the limit then. After awhile a hot rod, don't remember what, but was in the GTO, Trans Am category, pulled alongside on my left, and the passenger nodded forward, and they took off. He then slowed down, and did it again. When he did it the 3rd time I waited till I was in his blind spot as he slowed down, and slapped my foot on the floor. The back side of that 4bbl unlocked and cammed open and that old 350 started seriously sucking fuel. Before the driver realized what had happened I had gone from 55 to 65+ and was about 4 car lengths ahead of him, at which point with the gearing that old 350 was getting out of it's power range. Of course he hit the accelerator and pretty son went flying around me, and as soon as he passed I let off and let my speed drift back down to 55. About 4 or 5 minutes later I passed him as he was pulling over to the side of the road with a set of red lights flashing behind him. I waved as I went by. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: driving on I-270

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 pm

John, that reminds me of similar experience with an old Ford truck. I had a 1976 F150 "heavy half ton" which was the last year for the 390 ci with a four barrel Holley. It had so much power and speed that it was scary.

I was poking along on a 2 lane highway that had wide paved shoulders following a line of cars that were caught behind a backhoe that was chugging down the road. When there was an opening in the oncoming traffic, the cars ahead of me would pull out and pass. While I was still about two cars back a long hooded Monte Carlo swerved to the right of me on the shoulder and almost passed me. I forgot about him until it was my time to pass the backhoe. Just as I started around him to pass, I heard a horn blow. It was the Monte Carlo about halfway around me. I thought "son you can't do that to me". I floorboarded the old truck. The tranny downshifted all the way down to low and the four barrel woke up with a howl that only a four barrel can make. Even though the Monte Carlo already had a head full of steam built up, he could not pass me. I got up to around 80 mph really fast and then backed it down to 55 as he blew past me.

Good times! :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Late at night, driving from Missouri to central Iowa. Car pulled up beside my 1976, 500 Cubi, Cadillac and stayed there, beside me for many miles. We were the only two vehicles on road.

I waited until there was a long uphill grade. Bottom of the grade, punched the pedal to the floor board. Top of grade I was a mile to mile or more ahead of the other vehicle. That ended any close contact.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Your traffic stories remind me of when I was coming home from Poland after the 2012 European Football Championships. So when I got to Dublin Airport and picked up my car and on to the motorway late at night with little or no traffic on the road, I decided to go a little heavy on the pedal. I was doing 160KPH (speed limit 120KPH) and after about 20 miles down the motorway I noticed blue lights of police cars flashing behind me, my heart SANK!! oh sh-t more points on my drivers licence a hefty fine and maybe disqualification :evil: :evil: So I slowed down pulled over into the slower lane and waited for the cops to pull me over. Instead they flashed past me at the speed of light and the 2 police cars continued on their merry way. Was I a happy camper :{_}: :{_}: ever since that lucky escape I have rarely broken the speed limit. I thank my lucky stars the police had other fish to fry that night :D :D :{_}: :{_}: Happy Days!!
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:.........I thank my lucky stars the police had other fish to fry that night :D :D :{_}: :{_}: Happy Days!!
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.
Sometimes it is nice to be a small fry, especially when there are bigger fish to fry.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Off Topic”