This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Owl

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Owl

Postby Brent » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 am

:D :D I've had a real problem with english sparrows this year. They're poop factories and are messing up everything. I think it's because of all the rain we had this year. Seems like all the critters around here are rapidly multiplying! Harbor Freight has an Owl that has a motion detector in it. Any movement and it hoots and it's eyes light up. I bought one and put it in the barn. The sparrows are gone, and I haven't seen any mice lately! Let's see for how long.
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:07 am

Brent:, Those Owls really do work. I park my little car in a 45' reefer trailer to keep it out of the elements and try to keep it somewhat clean. I never close the back doors and the birds started perching in there above my car and you know what that meant for the car below a birds butt. My neighbor suggested getting one of those Owls from Wal-Marts garden department. That was 6-months ago since I put Wally~Owl at the entrance and not a drop of bird-poop on my car again since. I paid 8-bucks for that Owl and I have never regretted it.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 pm

a tip an old timer tought me. Hang strips of cloth about a foot or so long from a wire or whatever is handy across the top of an open garage, carport etc. birds don't like to fly under them, especially if there is a little breeze blowing, and will stay away.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Barn Swallows are a pain too.The thing i get a kick out of is how fast they go in the barn threw the openings.It reminds me of Star Wars,the fighters going into the Imperial destroyers.(how do they stop so fast)Absolutlely amazing.As far as Owls go.We had them in our Aircraft Hangers years ago when i was in the service.Never worked, pidgeons crapped all over the floor.I know,I spent more time cleaning hanger floors than working on birds.But times have changed and mabe the the owls are like in Disney World. If they start singing "tiki tiki tiki bird" that would scare the crap out of me.With there head spinning around and around. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Tim Martin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:06 pm

I work at a power plant and we had problems with pigeons building nests on the breakers and transformers in the switchyard. We bought some of those plastic owls and they didn't work. Then one of the workers suggested building a track system that ran around the steel work and mount the owl on a little car so that it could move around and scare away the pigeons.

I never laughed so hard the morning that I came to work and saw the two pigeons sitting on top of the owl’s head and riding it around the switch yard like they were in a theme park!

We finally ended up erecting some utility poles with small platforms around the switchyard to attract ospreys. Within the year we had osprey building their nests and our pigeon problem quickly vanished.

Return to “Off Topic”