This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Close Call

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Close Call

Postby Brent » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:46 am

:( :( :D :D Well I hate to do it but it looks like the old eucalyptus will have to go. Yesterday our granddaughter and her cousin were over riding horses and doing what seven year olds do. We came in for lunch and while eating heard a crash. I looked out the window and a branch about 8" in diameter had broken off and fallen right were they were last playing. Thank the Lord our stomachs got to us before that branch did. Monday it comes down. I guess the up side is, I'll get about three or four cords of wood out of it and can really put the Cub and buck saw to work.
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:34 am

Thank you LORD. God was with you and blessed you with that one.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:16 am

Brent:

Gald the granddaughter and friend is ok, thank God for that :!:

Question? Is eucalytus good for firewood and what does it smell like when burning? I think it would be a very nice aroma to savour on cold winter nights even in California.... :wink:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:47 am

Give thanks for that one. Injuries to little ones are something you never forget.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:29 pm

Whew close call indeed. I think any questions concerning tree removal have been answered by the BIG MAN! I'm curious about the aroma too. Eucalyptus oil is a natural mosquito repellant, the branches might be good for a campfire.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Just looked at this again and have now recovered from the shock of the kids being clear.
I have trouble with my buzz saw with out an aux infeed table with long pieces. I guess theoretically i could cut up to a 12 inch diameter piece but they are too heavy to be worth while trying to load for cutting. I find a pair of ice tongs to be ideal for large diameter pieces while splitting. Once the pieces get over about 18 20 inches I roll them into the loader bucket then place it near the splitter. As it is the turn of each piece I roll it on to the splitter and away we go. Before the loader I let a stack of already split wood form a ramp to end over end huge pieces on to the splitter. At that time My stove only took 24 inch pieces, now we use 30 inch pieces so you can see weight adds up in a hurry.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:12 pm

Eucalyptus, when dried, burns very nice and leaves little ash. It's about the only hard wood I can get around here. You would think it would give off an odor when burned but it doesn't. However, after it is split and stacked it has the distinctive eucalyptus smell until the wood pile drys out. What you have to watch for is any piece that has alot of oil in it. It will really flair up if any oil is still in the wood. Usually find the oil in the big pieces around the heart wood. Normally when you split it and let it dry the oil dissipates.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:20 pm

I used to burn Eucalyptus for heat and it is excellent fire wood. One thing I also found out is that you better split it while it is still green because after it dries a splitting maul will bounce off of it like a rubber ball. :o
Then came Bronson

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:34 am

:D That old tree is now history. All cut and stacked ready to be split. Just in time. It's supposed to get up to around 100 for the next couple of days. The old Cub and buck saw did a good job.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:16 am