Rick's new bike

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am

Rumor has it that Rick got passed on the highway recently and is testing a new bike.
What's next Rick, a 4360? (27 cyl engine of 4360 ci as used on a B-36). And please I did not caption the picture. Yes it is a radial engine not a rotary. :D Vern

Edit: A 4360 is a 28 cyl not 27.
Last edited by v w on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rick's new bike

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 am

Side torque on that thing when you crack the throttle must be something else. Wonder what that engine is from. Aircraft or old WW2 era tank?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:13 am

John, that's a new engine made by an Australian company. They are called Rotec. They make a 7 cylinder and a 9 cylinder model. They are being used a lot in homebuilt aircraft.
That model shown is the 7 cylinder model and puts out about 110 horses.
They sound pretty good running, not like a big multi cylinder row engine but still pretty good.
Roy

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Hey Vern, by the time I put my fat butt on the seat, that one valve cover would be dragging on the pavement. :lol:

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Side torque on that thing when you crack the throttle must be something else. Wonder what that engine is from. Aircraft or old WW2 era tank?

John I don't know of any application of radial engines except in aircraft. Rotaries, in which the crankshaft is bolted to the aircraft and the prop is bolted to the engine and the whole engine spins, was in use on early airplanes including some WWI. They pretty much disappeared by 1920. Small radial engines were in use until about 1940. Large radial engines were in use on heavy airplanes until the mid 1950s when jets replaced them on new airplanes although some are still running. Helicopters used radials until about the mid 1960s. The engine on this bike is much smaller, 2800cc.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Some Sherman tanks used rotary engines.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 am

Barnyard wrote:Some Sherman tanks used rotary engines.

More than just a few from a quick google check. Also used in some armored personnel carriers and if I read it right some tank retrievers. A couple of different engines were used but were in the 975 cid range. Vern

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:01 am

Barnyard wrote:Some Sherman tanks used rotary engines.
In WW2 Dad was on an M7 (?) it was a tank chassis but had a 105mm Howitzer mounted on it rather than the normal turret and gun. It was equipped with a radial air cooled engine, and it's fuel mileage was measured in gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon.