Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I was happy to see only a few inches. I guess we dodged a bullet. Hope that is all for winter weather. They showing a warm up late week.
Dad called me from Florida rubbing it in today that it was 80 there. That only got me dreaming?

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:00 am

So how cold is it? Negative 20 degrees wind chill. The local TV stations use a lot of journalism students for on the spot reporting, reporting road conditions. All you see of the reporter is eyes and a microphone, everything else is covered by parkas and wraps.

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

Negative 20 degrees is a biter. The more coving the better, the will chill here this more is -20.
Got the call at 6am, do to a power outage, schools are closed for today. Most of the town here is out but me.

Stay warm

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 am

The "BIG" storm, forecast all week, turned out to be a light dusting, overnight. 24 degrees. We have too many weather forecasters, who "cry wolf" all week, way too often. In their defense, they got a few, right, this winter.
Ed

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 am

Same here, Ed. They were predicting over a foot. We got about 4 inches. I'm not complaining, though. I'm ready for Spring.

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 pm

We only got about an inch but there's a half inch of sleet and ice frozen under it.

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Yesterday we got about .1 freezing rain, followed by .25 sleet and freezing rain mix. topped by a little snow. Last night we got another couple inches of sleet followed by blowing snow. Not too bad all told. Yesterday, however, I needed some tools from my shed, and having two artificial hips and a bad back I did not relish walking down there on the ice, so I hopped on my handicap scooter for the trip. It is a large outdoor scooter with 13 inch knobby tires and is great till the snow gets over 3 or 4 inches, and it just zipped along on the frozen sleet. 90% of the weight is on the rear wheels though, so you sometimes have to lean forward to be able to steer.
Image

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Some wheel weights and tire chains and maybe a blade for the front and you could get a job plowing sidewalks!! :lol: :lol:

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:56 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:....... 90% of the weight is on the rear wheels though...........
With or without the driver? :lol:

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Scrivet wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:....... 90% of the weight is on the rear wheels though...........
With or without the driver? :lol:
depends on whether I lean forward or backward. :wink: with batteries that thing weighs 300 pounds by on it's own.

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Yesterday we got about .1 freezing rain, followed by .25 sleet and freezing rain mix. topped by a little snow. Last night we got another couple inches of sleet followed by blowing snow. Not too bad all told. Yesterday, however, I needed some tools from my shed, and having two artificial hips and a bad back I did not relish walking down there on the ice, so I hopped on my handicap scooter for the trip. It is a large outdoor scooter with 13 inch knobby tires and is great till the snow gets over 3 or 4 inches, and it just zipped along on the frozen sleet. 90% of the weight is on the rear wheels though, so you sometimes have to lean forward to be able to steer.
Image



The power scooter fitted with a blade would be a nice up-grade from your current snow removal system!! :lol: :lol:

Image

I can't help it John, you left the door wide open.... :wink:

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 am

ricky racer wrote:.......

I can't help it John, you left the door wide open.... :wink:
The younger generation just does not have any respect for their elders. :cry:

We had about 1/10 inch of freezing rain, followed by about 1/4 or more freezing rain and sleet mix that fell and froze into a solid mass, then a couple inches of snow, but the ice mix was so slick that with the wind all the snow blew into the next county unless it could find a valley to settle in out of the wind. I went out to blade what I could off the road, and got about an inch off, but there was nearly half an inch of frozen rain/sleet under it i could not move. The cub has wheel weights and chains, and when I looked at my tracks, I could barely see the chain marks it was frozen so hard. Where I drove across the yard, there were places I could not see the chain marks at all, just a scuff here and there.

Our drive makes a turn onto another road part way up a pretty steep hill that faces the northwest, and gets pretty slick, so I spread about 15 gallons of wood ash on the tracks of the hill about 2 pm yesterday and even though the temp never got above 24F, by the time the sun went behind the hill about 5:30 the wood ash had really eaten into the ice. By the time my daughter went to work last nigh she could drive her Focus, but without the ashes it would have been stuck at home for 3 or 4 more days.

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:02 am

What is that green haze on your snow?

Re: The Winter that just keeps on giving

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 am

outdoors4evr wrote:What is that green haze on your snow?
An indication somebody might want to adjust their monitor. My snow looks white, both outside and on my monitor. Now if you had asked about the yellow snow............