This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PC virus protection

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

PC virus protection

Postby Jackman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 am

I have heard that PC virus protection is becoming less important than in past years and that many people don't even use a virus protection , anyone up on this stuff :?:

About my PC its an HP I have not had a virus protection in at least 7 years and had no issues, I just ordered a new Dell it comes with McAfee at no extra charge and I wonder do I need it........

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: PC virus protection

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 am

I feel safer with virus protection. It is cheap insurance. Mine has warned me many times of a problem. I have mine set up to do a nightly scan and many times the report in the morning shows something that has attempted to get in. It also filters out spam email if it detects a virus to keep me from opening those letters from Nigeria.

McAfee is a good one as well as Norton, but I won't go into which software is better than the next since there are benefits of each. You may want to drive a Ford and I may want a Chevy. It is all up to the user.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:42 am

Please use an Anti-virus program. And please be sure that you keep the signature files up-to-date, daily or more frequently.

You have been extremely lucky. It only takes one attack to be the death of your machine(s).
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am

There are several free (no cost) virus protection programs. AVG Antivirus Free Edition, used if for years. I'm currently using an up graded version of AVG, costs a bit, but has more features.

Previously I would use the installed virus protection that came with the computer until the trial period ended, then install one of the no cost programs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 am

Eugene wrote:There are several free (no cost) virus protection programs. AVG Antivirus Free Edition, used if for years. I'm currently using an up graded version of AVG, costs a bit, but has more features.

Previously I would use the installed virus protection that came with the computer until the trial period ended, then install one of the no cost programs.

Another free one is Avast.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:59 pm

We have the Century Link package and I get free anti virus with them. Have had zero problems. Used to pay for Norton but occasionally a virus snuck through. Nothing that couldn't be fixed but time consuming.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Jack:

It is like the H1N1 influenze virus. You can get a flu shot or don't get a flu shot. Personal choice. However .. ifn you get the flu shot it are more likely to not get whatever flu's are runnin around cause you have already been immunized.

Much the same thing with computer viruses. You can elect to use an anti-virus program or elect not to. In my experience I have found that those who choose not to use an anti-virus program and fail to do their maintenance on a regular basis end up with many more problems than those who do use an anti-virus program. I know so many who have lost valuable data to a virus that took down their computers and the data was not recoverable. I know it kept me busy for many years ... oh yeah .. and that experience funded 90% of my Cub purchases over the last 12 years .. :roll:

Even though most ISP's up here now provide integrated anti-virus protection ahead of the household modem, it is inadvisable to not use an anti-virus suite on your home computers. I have been using System Mechanic Professional from Iolo for almost a decade now and every computer in my home runs on the same license. That is part of the cost for the program. A very good deal if you have at least 2 or more computers in your home.

Course, this is JIMHO
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Eugene wrote:There are several free (no cost) virus protection programs. AVG Antivirus Free Edition, used if for years. I'm currently using an up graded version of AVG, costs a bit, but has more features.

I've used the free AGV before with no problems. I am running the free AGV app on my phone too.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:04 pm

You need a AVP for sure, a lot of adds take you where you dont want to go
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:26 pm

I've only had one virus attack and that was about 10 years ago. It somehow got a hold of my e-mail contacts and sent them messages with a virus. Embarrassed the hell out of me. :oops: I now make sure I'm protected.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Best to use AVP. Like Denny said, Avast is free and very good.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:21 am

When I bought my current HP, it came with McAfee, free for (I think) 6mos. At the end of the trial period, I drug my feet about purchasing the program and it cost me a trip to the computer repair shop to have a serious virus removed. I don't drag my feet anymore! I just renewed it again last week. I know there are free AVGs available but I'm comfortable with McAfee so I don't plan to change.

Return to “Off Topic”