This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Watch those parts prices!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Watch those parts prices!

Postby Barnyard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Back in September I needed a couple of Cub water outlet gaskets. The parts guy came out with them and said "here you go, 39¢ a piece". I figured that was a lot cheaper and easier than making them and knowing I was going to need more I said give me ten of them at that price (he only had seven). The regular price was 89¢ so I saved a bit of cash. Today I needed one to finish a project so I stopped by to pick up another five. I had taken the old receipt with me which was good. One of the other guys waited on me and couldn't find what I needed when he went to look for them. I gave him the part number from the receipt and he had them on the counter in no time. Tony is a pretty good parts guy and that's why I like dealing with him. He rang it up and said, that'll be four bucks and change. I asked what the cost of them were and he said 79¢ and then asked how much I paid last time. I showed him the receipt for 39¢ and he said, "I can give them to you for that". I have noticed that between three of the counter folks the discounts seem to vary.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Watch those parts prices!

Postby Scrivet » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Barnyard wrote:Back in September ........ I said give me ten of them at that price (he only had seven). ......... Today I needed one to finish a project so I stopped by to pick up another five. ..........
Let's see Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec is 4 months. You've used seven and need an eighth (plus four more in backup) in that four months. No way you could have worked on that many Cubs and still put up all those lights! :? Must be for some new fangled cooling system on a higher powered Cub locator. :wink:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Actually, five of the originals are in my tool box in my enclosed trailer. The Camaro is stored in the trailer for the winter and is blocking my access to the gaskets. So therefore, It was easier to spend the additional two bucks for more. They will get used sooner or later. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:35 pm

As for the prices, my understanding, at least in auto parts, is that in addition to hourly/salary there is a percentage paid on monthly sales volume. So personal relationships can be important. Back to the homemade goodies at Christmas and other times throughout the year. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Bill,
I read your post after I got home from AutoZone earlier today. Not to start another rant on bad parts stores/employees, but I guess I am.... :oops:
I needed some rubber gas line for a Cadet, the closest NAPA is closed for the holidays, so I figured how hard could it be to get a little gas line.... So, off to AutoZone.... Well the idiot employee wandered back to never never land after I told him what I wanted, returned over 5 min. later (no joke) with some hose and started to ring it up when I picked it up and saw it was simple vacuum / windshield washer hose. When I told him (again) I needed GAS hose he ventured back to his secret place. After a several more minutes I should have left, but I held my ground. He finally returned with some gas line, went to the same register that apparently "timed out" during his hiatus and was locked up... after fiddling with it for several more minutes he made a management decision and went to another register and rang it up--- at $4.10/foot :shock: :shock: I believe it is specialty injector hose (silver lined at that price)?? I should have told him I needed more and when he went for his mini vacation to the back I should have left... but I paid the ransom and left....

Next time I will drive to Harrison and see your buddy, Tony, and come out cheaper and have time to spare :D !
David

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:00 pm

The more I hear, the better I like my local NAPA guys!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:The more I hear, the better I like my local NAPA guys!

Bill

The NAPA store closest to me is pretty good. I went in before Christmas, I just needed a fiber gasket for a Kohler oil plug (5/8" I believe). They looked high and low and finally took one off a metric set (plug and gasket) that was close enough to help me out. He said he would replace it later. It is staffed by older gentlemen that have been there a while and it shows!

I have stepped down from my soap box (for now).... :wink:
David

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I deal with NAPA whenever I am traveling, but our local NAPA folks are rude and arrogant so I gave up on them. I think David had an issue with the same store when he was here for the Bash. Tony and his guys at KOI are a great bunch to deal with. I figure getting an 89¢ for 79¢ is about a 12% discount. Not bad for a small item. Tony has given me bigger discounts on other things. I'm not sure how the other guy gave those gaskets at a 55% discount. I went to Auto Zone for two trailer axle seals a couple years ago and the guy played around on his computer for twenty minutes and couldn't figure out what they were since they didn't list the trailer by it's manufacturer name so he said he didn't have them. I went to KOI and as soon as I laid it on the counter, and without me telling him what it was, Tony asked "Do you want one for each side", and went straight to the back and came out with them. I will stay with these guys, but I'll always kid Tony and ask if that's the best he can do on price. :lol:

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:27 pm

When you find good parts people that can help you, stick with them, no matter the name on the door.

Bill
Bill

Return to “Off Topic”