This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Purchasing a Vehicle a Little Different

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Purchasing a Vehicle a Little Different

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:51 am

Sorry….I thought I deleted this post from here and put it in “Other Tractors and Machinery”. I guess too much Christmas cheer yesterday and not enough coffee this morning.

...After my car was damaged and the insurance company said the damage was beyond what the car was worth, I’m looking at the cheapest way to replace it. That’s including buying the car back from the insurance company and repairing it myself.

This is something I ran across the other day that I thought was interesting if someone wanted to take the chance when purchasing a vehicle a little different than the normal way. When I buy things I have to make the dollar stretch, especially with cars and trucks. (Tractors a different story).

Notice in the article the person writes about “The seller sent me some before photos, and I found crisp HD insurance claim photos on the web just by googling the VIN number. ( a trick anyone should try.)” I thought that was very interesting.

Note, something personally I like to pass along; most new(er) vehicle totals are rentals and in my opinion a rental has more air miles than a 737.

This is the link if anyone is interested…its forwarded to another tractor site and (moderators) if that’s not permissible please delete my post.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=488770

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Purchasing a Vehicle a Little Different

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:12 am

Bought back a Pontiac station wagon from insurance company for $150-. Got hit in right rear door. Big dent, door jamed shut, duck tape to cover gap between door and vehicle top. Daughter drove the Pontiac for several years until she hit a deer and finished off (completely totaled) the vehicle. Funny thing was that a couple months after the deer accident, I received a letter from DMV asking why I didn't file an insurance claim for the accident and why I listed the vehicles value at $150- on the police report.

Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles. Sitting in police impound parking lot. Bid is about 1/3'rd the suggest private sale value, due to unknowns, and some obvious needed repairs.

Need to replace 2 of the 3 currently owned pickups. One with 209K and rust holes in floor boards, patched many times. Other vehicle with 250K miles, significant smoke on engine start up, been in 3 accidents which nearly totaled out vehicle on each accident. If I win the bid, planning on selling (scrapping) the 2 pickups. Can probably get close to my bid from scrap dealer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Some vehicles, notably the import brands, have the VIN on all the major parts of the vehicle in easily visible places. Doors, hood, truck lid, etc. Replacing or repainting those is evident since the VIN does not match or probably will not be visible after repainting.
I bought one with salvage title that had been stolen and recovered 8 months later. Carfax showed no accidents. Flew to the pickup city and drove it home. Trunk lid had been replaced and that is all. The salvage title meant that the few bids offered were low and the price was one that I could not refuse. Pleased beyond description.
Luck favors those who are prepared

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Eugene wrote:........

Need to replace 2 of the 3 currently owned pickups. One with 209K and rust holes in floor boards, patched many times. ........
I owned a 70 Chevy 3/4 ton that one day I had to go back and pick up the gas pedal off the highway after it fell out. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Eugene wrote: Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles.

In my opinion those are good trucks… low miles too… I bought a Dodge off a dealer wholesale lot years back with a known problem at a very reasonable price…after I finally figured the problem out, it’s been a good truck.

Bus Driver wrote: The salvage title meant that the few bids offered were low and the price was one that I could not refuse. Pleased beyond description.

If I can get a car like Bus Driver did with less money than the insurance company gave me I think I’d go for it.
I like to fix my car, but the “B” piller is bent and creased the roof line along with the panels of the entire right side. I can probably repair it, but I just don’t know if I’m up to it.

My son sent me a picture of a government car he’s been driving that’s going to be auctioned off soon. It’s a Ford with 82 thousand miles. He said he really liked the way the car drove on the highway and it’s very tight. I looked up the value of it and ruff is $800 and clean is $1400. If I can buy this car for $1000 I would be pleased beyond description…..then I can take my Chevy to the levy…maybe….

Government car:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/Metering%20Valve/Car_zpsf28d11b0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/Metering%20Valve/Car1_zpsf9eed115.jpg

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: I had to go back and pick up the gas pedal off the highway after it fell out. :lol:

I guess you would call that “pedal to the concrete” :wink:

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Eugene, I own a 95 GMC Z71 which I think is about the same pickup as the Chevy you are bidding on. I've owned it several years and it has a few bruises and scuffs but I love that truck. They are tough trucks and it has given me great service.
Roy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Government vehicles. When I was in the military, vehicles were traded out based on age and not mileage. The sedans were usually in excellent condition when replaced. The pickups, trucks, and tactical vehicles were usually serviceable but pretty well banged up when replaced.

I'm also bidding on several other vehicles in the police sale. I submitted a bid on a 2003 Ford Expedition, son is interested in it and a Honda ATV.

I bid $10- each on 4 different Crown Victoria's. Don't think my bid will be accepted even if it's the highest.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Scrappers probably would pay $250 for a complete Crown Vic.
Luck favors those who are prepared

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Few years ago I got a school bus(non running) for $20 in a school surplus sealed bid auction
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Scrappers probably would pay $250 for a complete Crown Vic.
That was my thought. Call up the local scrappers and have them come get the vehicles. For a small fee.

Few years ago son's raggedy old Impala sedan blew a head gasket. Called the scrap yards. They would pay around $300- or so for the vehicle, providing all the fluids were drained, certain size hole cut in gas tank, tires off, and delivered. Scrapper picked up the Impala at son's house and paid $150-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 am

Eugene stated: The sedans were usually in excellent condition when replaced.

Thanks…that makes me feel better, if I buy one of those cars.

I’m not really all that familiar how the Government sells their cars. What I can see in the web site; they have surplus and GSA auctions. I did get time to e-mail the maintenance manager where the Ford is now and he said it is a GSA car and will be auctioned off either on line or a live auction…but didn’t know when.

My insurance company is really low-balling me on what my car is worth. They say the car is worth 6k less than what I paid for it three years ago. I even got a discount when I bought it because I was associated with GM.

I know a man who owns a small body shop; looked at the car and he said he could put it back without paint for what the car is worth wholesale. I’ll have to paint the car. If the car isn’t right when done, I can get my money out of it… retail value.

Still I would like to get the Ford for 1000, if I can figure out how and when it’s going to be sold.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:26 am

Auctions are more than most people feel comfortable with.

I have had 2 trucks and the car I am driving from GSA auctions. The federal govt. is required to sell at auction. They are getting pretty smart about cars and light trucks, all clean and sold by a certain age. They are surely not given away, although vans seem to be a deal. The F-250 used a lot of oil and I put a crate Motocraft motor in it. They don't come with any fancy options and you have NO idea of how it was used. CarFax was not helpful with federal vehicles (never really titled).

My truck was an eBay purchase and has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has 260K on the IH Powerstroke 7.3L.

Regardless of where you buy, it is always buyer beware.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote: Regardless of where you buy, it is always buyer beware.

I agree used and new

I own a 2012 Chevy Diesel truck (bought new) that hasn’t been a joy to own. Lucky I still know people at GM that are helping...under warranty. So even when buying new…sometimes problems.

Was the F 250 a GSA truck?

Along with my son…I know some Government people and they say those vehicles are taken care of, but only drive them and have nothing to do with maintenance.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Yep Jack. As was the C2500 (3/4 ton with a 6 cyl!) and the little Chevy car I have been driving the last few years. Just replaced the original (2004) battery on it. It had 29K when I bought it, with a credit card no less. It has been a great car for me.

At least up this way, the auctions are mostly in the warmer weather.
http://autoauctions.gsa.gov/autoauctions/

And if you are really adventurous there is some cool surplus stuff here:
http://www.govliquidation.com/

Need a bigger truck??
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... vertTo=USD
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote: And if you are really adventurous there is some cool surplus stuff here:

Wow… Yes indeed…2007 NASCAR …. 1922 Ford Model T 1 Door Roadster Pickup start out bid $25… Oh the Ford would look perfect beside my Cub.

Return to “Off Topic”