This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

For the retirees ?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

For the retirees ?

Postby Jackman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 am

Did you find the answer to retirement living? Things like taxes, climate, affordability, and what ever else a decent retirement requires,

I have some years to go before retirement but I have figured out that NY is not retirement zone for me :( , , cost of living is too high NY State taxes and winter fuel cost are pretty much the main issues here, so where is a good place to retire working man style (no big money) live good be satisfied.

I thinking semi south like Va. or even Pa. , can't do deep south its just too warm down there , west might be doable but where :?: :idea: what works for you :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: For the retirees ?

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 am

Small town, rural areas in south central Missouri. Mild winters, low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreation. Houses are moderately priced compared to other areas of the country.

Taxes. Portion of some pensions are state income tax exempt. Social Security, with some limitations, are state income tax exempt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:54 am

Travel for a couple of years after retirement and something might appeal to you. As for me I stuck with Michigan's high taxes, high heating costs, but lower somewhat cooling cost. We had to hole up for a few hours Saturday due to snow but it only takes the county 8 hours of plowing to open most roads. Our road is one of the first. I always thought Florida or Texas would be nice for the winter but when you don't have to get out winter isn't so bad. Today I have no desire to move nor leave for the winter. To each his own really. Enjoy yourself whatever you decide and as for retirement :big smile: Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 am

I have an excuse. CRS.

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 am

We live in West Central VA. ( not West Va. ) I think it is one of the better places to liv, taxes are comparably low , crime rate
Is low, heating cooling is as reasonable as can be expected . We are located approx 120 miles south of Wash DC, 120 miles North of Roanoke, VA. And 120 miles West of Richmond, Va. In the Shenandoah Valley. Our area is primarily a farming community. We are in Augusta County

Berlin

We are both retired fron state goverment and so far are very pleased with this area, we both grew up here.

Edited to add retirement info
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Eugene wrote:http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retirement/T055-S001-state-by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/index.php

This site is interesting but there is so much more to the whole picture that it is borderline misleading. Here in Texas, the state sales tax is 6.25% but almost every local jurisdiction around here has local optioned it up to or close to the 8.25% limit. And it applies to ALMOST EVERYTHING. Another thing left unsaid is that Texas, in pursuit of the holy grail of low taxes, has been adding "user fees" to everything. Virtually all major highway projects are now toll roads. So we not only pay for each road, we also pay for a huge automated toll collection system on each road. We even have one where the toll amount is adjusted as traffic changes. Half the time, when I meet some buddies for lunch I pay more in tolls than I spend on lunch (I am not exaggerating!).

Yesterday, my wife mentioned a story that Texas has the 4th worst drivers in the country. I don't know whose list or what they based it on, but our car insurance rates confirm it belongs high on any similar list. Insurance is cheaper most other places. Add to that the cost of annual safety/emissions tests, and you see Texas isn't all that car friendly.

Don't ignore utility costs. Around here, water can be a rude awakening. My water bill this summer peaked at $342.59 (that is not a typo). The average was something close to $110 per month. This is not the whole utility bill. IT IS JUST WATER. And this is while under watering restrictions. My heating costs aren't bad (cheaper than water!), but brace yourself for the cost of keeping reasonably cool in the summer.

I have tried to find the various state/local government's TOTAL per capita budgets and compare that rather than just tax rates. After all, if they spend it they have to get it somewhere. I never could find the budgets for the various Texas turnpike authorities to add that in. Couldn't get the other "revenue funds" (e.g. where the water bill goes) to add in either. Even so, using this comparison, I didn't find that much difference between Texas and the "not tax friendly" Minnesota at the other end of I-35.

From New York, being a half back may not be a bad idea. (Half back - people that retired to Florida and found it didn't suit them. So they went half way back.) Virginia and the Carolinas have their good points. Just be sure to look at all the factors you can find and not focus on the few things that the politicians like to talk about.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Eugene wrote:Small town, rural areas in south central Missouri. Mild winters, low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreation. Houses are moderately priced compared to other areas of the country.

Taxes. Portion of some pensions are state income tax exempt. Social Security, with some limitations, are state income tax exempt.

Couldn't have said it any better. We live in south central Missouri close to the Arkansas border and love it. Great country and great independent people. :{_}:
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:46 pm

VinceD wrote:
Eugene wrote:Small town, rural areas in south central Missouri. Mild winters, low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreation. Houses are moderately priced compared to other areas of the country.

Couldn't have said it any better. We live in south central Missouri close to the Arkansas border and love it. Great country and great independent people. :{_}:
add me to the list of people who agree with that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:40 pm

If you really want to enjoy life just cross the Missouri line to the West and come to KANSAS>

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Missouri. Utility costs.

My electricity bill for last month, November, was $56-, 20 miles from the nuclear power plant. Water, sewer, garbage pickup and taxes all included in the city "water bIll" runs around $50- a month. Heating and hot water for the house are propane fueled. Prices for propane vary, sometimes greatly.

Previous "water bill" was in the mid $30's. But new septic system system and in the process of installing new wells, water tower, and water mains, bill increased greatly.

Not advocating any particular state or local. Internet search and various magazines. There is a lot of information related to different retirement locations.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I think an observation from a vice president of a company where I worked in field service years ago applies here. It was a company that had people scattered all over the US and when we put out a hiring notice we would get applications from all over. People would be willing to move somewhere to take the field sevice job. The people that already lived in the territory would be the ones that ended up staying with the job for the long haul. The people that relocated seldom stayed for more than 18 months before they moved on to another job or wanted to move back where they were from. The observation was; that very few people can and will just pack up and move and be happy with out a support structure of family, friends, and familiarity with an area.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Everything Is high in Va. property taxes are outrageous.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:14 am

Scrivet stated: The observation was; that very few people can and will just pack up and move and be happy without a support structure of family, friends, and familiarity with an area.

I agree with this. My family is scattered throughout this country and I hate it. On top of it of that, I had to make a temporary move far away from my home of 40 years and I miss it.

I agree with the small towns in rural areas for retirement. Keep in mind places for health care when you get older you’ll need it.
Last edited by Jack fowler on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:32 am

My wife has been a CCU nurse for 35 years. Every time I fined a place to retire. Her first question is where is the nearest big hospital. After living in the DC area. I want to move so far out that they have to pump sunshine in. I like the northern neck of Va. on the bay.

ArtN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby ArtN » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:37 pm

So I die in my bed cause too far away to get to the hospital in time. I figure I am moving on up to the big time!

Return to “Off Topic”