Diggin' dirt and...Whoa, jump back!

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Our tenant is moving out of our rental house so we decided to sell it instead of going through the headaches of finding good tenants again. Today Rosanne and I went over to remove one of the raised flower beds because the landscape timbers were rotted away. These beds are about 10 to 12 inches deep and about 24 inches wide. I was shoveling the dirt out so I could level out the area when the shovel hit a soft, spongy spot. Whoo Hoo, looky what I found about six inches below ground! This baby was two feet long, about ten inches wide and 5 layers thick. At first I thought it was an old nest, but then I started seeing movement. It was slow movement but enough to make me move fast. I'm glad it was 45 degrees out today and not 85.

Re: Diggin' dirt and...Whoa, jump back!

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Time for late night blanket party!

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:28 pm

danovercash wrote:Time for late night blanket party!

Dan, now that the nest is scattered around the lawn and it will drop down to freezing tonight, I think those babies are history.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Another batch of bees bites the dust, there goes next years garden.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:45 am

Wasp are not good pollinators, just a nuisance for gardeners.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:12 pm

the yellow on the one visible and the hexagon shapes of the cells made me think they were bees or yellow jackets rather than wasps, which normally have round cells, at least in this area.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm

John, they were yellow jackets. I hate killing bees but I don't know how you go about relocating these when you don't know they are under ground. Once the shovel slices into the nest somebody will be in for a surprise.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:34 pm

used to be Honey I shrunk the Kids, now you have Kids I shrunk the Honey. :lol: :lol: Yep one good night's frost will do them in.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Yellow jackets and I do not play well together... Every year for the last 3, I've located a nest in the yard or barn lot. Since approx 8 yrs ago, I've needed to carry an auto injector (Epipen) Got nailed twice this year, luckily no bad reaction.. This year's nest was burned out, then gassed with exhaust from the Cub for about an hour. (hose fit the exhaust pipe better) Not sure whether the gassing was necessary or even effective, but was taking no chances..
Epipen back in the glove box for this year...
Regards, Stan

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 pm

your right good thing it was 45 out

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm

sdurnal wrote:Yellow jackets and I do not play well together... Every year for the last 3, I've located a nest in the yard or barn lot. Since approx 8 yrs ago, I've needed to carry an auto injector (Epipen) Got nailed twice this year, luckily no bad reaction.. This year's nest was burned out, then gassed with exhaust from the Cub for about an hour. (hose fit the exhaust pipe better) Not sure whether the gassing was necessary or even effective, but was taking no chances..
Epipen back in the glove box for this year...
Regards, Stan

Make sure you check the expiration date on the pen. They have a way of expiring before you realize.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks Grumpy. I normally refill in the spring, and it carries me through most of the summer months. One of those things that I hope to never need to use again..
Regards,