Encapsulated Nuts

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Encapsulated is not the correct description, but I could not come up with another one. However, the question is "How can a nut be attached permanently to sheet metal, as for the hood support"? I know it can be welded, but I don't want to burn my purty paint. I have tried epoxy with no sucess. Does anyone make a nut that can be braded to the sheet metal?

Re: Encapsulated Nuts

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Rivet nuts. They attach kind of like a pop rivet.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=p9kzj2
Last edited by ricky racer on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:56 pm

I had to read that one, I figured it had something to do with marriage. :D

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:01 pm

There is a metal adhesive available that all the body shops now use instead of welding. It is available at TP Tools. http://www.tptools.com/Pro-Form-Urethane-Structural-Adhesive,7368.html?b=s*metal+adhesive It is however pricy.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Ricky, I have looked at the "Rivnuts". I was hoping to find one that mounted on the inside without being seen from the outside. Having a career in the aircraft industry, I was exposed to several types of hidden or blind nuts. But I don't remember one that looks like what I want.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 pm

clean the paint of where you want to attach the nut, and use JB Weld. Are you talking about a round nose cub, I cannot think of a nut for hood support on the outer sheet metal there. Or, were you referring to where the doglegs attach to the hood?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:03 pm

John, I am thinking of the (4) truss head 1/4-20 bolts that attach the rear of gas tank/hood to the support. Mine has (3) nuts projection welded to the hood with the other nut welded to the wire cable support on the RH side. Also on the square nose, the top front and side that fastens the hood to the supports. And on a square nose, the grille attaches with (4) bolts to blind nuts.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 pm

I have JB Welded the rear nuts on more than one cub. Need clean spot for JB to stick though.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:52 pm

you can buy "nutserts" they are installed with a tool like a rivet gun
tim

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:I am thinking of the (4) truss head 1/4-20 bolts that attach the rear of gas tank/hood to the support.
Just put a nut on it.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 pm

But Dave, it is so cool to install a bolt into the hood without using the second wrench. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 am

On the McMaster Carr link, look at the ones called "Rivet nut inserts". They are generally installed with a setting tool but it's easy to improvise.