This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Buying American Made...Sometimes Hard to Do

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Buying American Made...Sometimes Hard to Do

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm

One of the concepts that is being basically overlooked is the type of use. If you use these tools for everyday use to earn a living as in being a professional, then most of the HF stuff will not stand up to that kind of abuse. So .. Snap On, MAC, Blue Point, etc., and probably have the ability to write it off. If you are a hobbyist - and by definition the use will be much lighter than professional jobs, then HF, Princess etc., will suffice and will probably last a long time.

I bought a Needle Scaler from Princess - cost me $19.99 on sale. If it lasts for a couple jobs then it was worth it. If it fails - well I get a new one. To buy a professional such as Ingersoll Rand - well these are the prices on :eBay: .. 10 times what I paid. Will it last longer, surely will but do I want to spend that much on a tool I may use twice or three times a year ?? the answer to that would be a resounding no.

It is all about economics .. our hobbies are not our jobs so the quality need not be as high. For the pro user (and I still have all my tools from when I was working as a custom cabinet maker - they are all higher end tools and not HF tools or the economy brands from Lowes/Home Depot etc.), it is a different ball game and the proper tools have to be used.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 pm

I try to buy made in the USA , but it is hard to do. Lots of things are not made over here any more. As to why, free trade act
would be one thing that comes to mind. If enough duties or taxes was charged on imported goods , the American made would be more appealing. But still at a higher price. The country has been given away :oops:
A very said condition.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I think we have beat this dead horse well enough. Time to lock it for posterity.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”